Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar & Latin curriculums?

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Analytical Grammar program for grammar instruction. We have done A Beka through 9th grade, and then Jensen Grammar for 10th grade. I know that it is not necessary to continue with it in the upper grades, but was thinking that it would be a good way to keep my dd's hand in it and brush up on anything she may have missed. I like that it is not filled with spelling and/or writing, etc., but just grammar. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I was wondering about The Latin Road to English Grammar. Is this something that is better than Latina Christiana? It sounds really good to me, but.....? I really want my dd to have a good grasp of Latin and we are almost done with the first book of Latina Christiana. You should know that I plan to do Jensen's Vocabulary next year which has Latin I, Latin II, and Greek in it. My dd is in high school (actually the age of a Freshman, but doing Sophomore work). Would the Latin Road to English Grammar be too simple. I thought it sounded like it would be okay and am assuming that she could move through it more quickly since she is 14. Again, I would appreciate your thoughts on this, as well.

Thank you.
    Tammy

The Latin Road to English Grammar would not be too simple. All 3 volumes equal 2 foreign language credits at the high school level. I would not consider Latina Christiana (both volumes) nor Jensen's vocabulary anywhere near the equivalent.

Because your dd has such a strong grammar background, she could probably finish all 3 volumes in 3 years (maybe a little less). We should be finished at the end of 4 years - in time to start over with my next two students.

Blessings,
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2

We did A Beka grammar through 6th grade. Then my 7th grade dd started Latin Road to English Grammar. She is in the middle of the second book now. I haven't used any other Latin program, so I can only mention our experience with LRTEG. It has been an incredible look at English grammar from a different viewpoint. We are solidifying what we had previously learned. Therefore, you would not need a separate English grammar program. No, LRTEG would not be too simple for your dd. My dd has had learning delays in the past and I have trouble keeping up with her. She is able to help me get up to speed in Latin. There is a support group if interested.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LRTEGfamilies/

Thank you so much for your input on The Latin Road to English Grammar. I really liked the looks of the program and was nervous about it not being sufficient for high school since it was recommended for the lower grades. I am glad to know that that is not the case. I believe we will do all three volumes of this program. I am really glad to know that it exceeds what Jensen's Vocabulary offers. I liked the looks of Jensen's, but thought that she should have a deeper knowledge of the language itself.

Also, Laurie, thanks for the support group information. I will go there right now!

Tammy

I would encourage you to take a look at Latin in the Christian Trivium. It's quite similar to LREG but I like it so much better. (I've purchased both! - no small expense - as well as several others.)

I have three sons who are currently half way through volume two of Latin in the Christian Trivium. They are taking the on-line class which is both reasonably priced and very helpful. As mom, you still will have to supervise their work but it's amazingly helpful to have someone else working with the students weekly who's an expert on Latin. The class is great fun for my sons. However, they find the work to be very challenging. You'll want to allow an hour a day most likely.

I am so grateful to the authors of this thoroughly Christian curriculum.I simply can't recommend it highly enough.

Aletha
    http://www.latintrivium.com/

Aletha,

Could you explain to me why you like Latin in the Christian Trivium "so much better" than Latin Road to English Grammar? It would be helpful to me.

Thanks so much.
    Tammy

Tammy, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to see that you asked for a follow up. I'm pretty confident my facts are correct in what I'm about to share. There are many Latin Programs which were written for the Grammar Stage. Latin in the Christian Trivium Volume I was written for the dialectic and the volumes gradually move into Rhetoric. I'm guessing Latin Road was intended for dialectic.

I tried several popular programs before I found Latin in the Christian Trivium. This curriculum includes all of the best features of the others. It's Christian! There is no weird stuff I didn't want my kids to have to spend a lot of time translating. It follows the classical system and is recommended for about 6th grade on up. That being said, my son who was starting 7th grade (age 12) when we started has had to be very diligent. It's been easier for my 14 year old and easiest of all for the 16 yo. But all have had to work! (They are now 14, 16, and 18.)

One of the fun components is a very enjoyable on-going story about a Roman boy and his family based on a Roman centurion mentioned in the gospels who, at some point Iím told, meets Jesus. The vocabulary is spread out over a longer period of time than some typical highschool Latin courses allowing time for a good bit of Roman culture and lots of English to Latin and Latin to History translation earlier than some programs. Latin Road and Latin in the Christian Trivium end up at about the same place at the end of Volume 3. LITCT Volume 4 will have the student reading the book of James and other passages from the Vulgate (Latin Bible) We have found it to be more enjoyable and more interesting than itís cousin, LREG, which is quite similar.

One of the authors and our on-line tutor, Mary Harrington, home schooled her own large family and has taught this course in Christian Schools. She now has lots of grandchildren! Mary is a hoot and my guys really enjoy her. But After all this build up, I don't think she's teaching first year students this year though she highly recommends her other teachers. If you are interested, do contact her. I think she will start a class whenever she has enough students lined up.

One of her daughters is in the process of finishing DVDs for Year I. I havenít viewed them but this could be an option for you.

The authorsí intention was that a mom could learn Latin along with her children or that an older student could learn it on his own. I've met families who have. However, my life is simply too busy, my desire too low, and my memory to slow to learn Latin with my children. In fact, each time we tried, the young people moved ahead of me by the 2nd lesson! So I finally asked the son for whom this came easiest if he would tutor the rest of us. He thought that would be fun but the up-shot was that on busy days, Latin was the first subject to go.

The on-line class has been an incredible blessing. In our case it hasnít worked for me to turn them over to our tutor and forget about it. They only meet once a week and Iíve found it necessary to purchase the teacherís manual and keep abreast of whatís going on. My oldest son doesn't need any help, my middle son needs a lot of accountability and the youngest needs his older sibs or me to help from time to time. (As you can see, mom's involvement will vary depending on the temperament and age of the student.)

Iím so grateful for her help because it has made it possible for me to act as proctor and not to actually have to learn it myself plus her enthusiasm is instilling a love for the subject that I can't. My students are now in Chapter 11 of Volume II which is over 1/2 way through! Iím ecstatic.

Reviews by Cathy Duffy, Mary Pride and others are available on the Latin in the Christian Trivium website. www.latintrivium.com

It's so challenging to compare curricula without being able to see it and try it out so I'm happy to share what's worked for our family.I hope this has been helpful.

Aletha

Aletha,

Thank you for your detailed response. I am glad to know that both LRTEG and Latin the Christian Trivium end up at about the same place at the end of Volume III. One of my concerns is that I only have three years left with which to do this program with my dd. Latin in the CT is a four year program and, if I'm not mistaken, you have to either do an on-line program and/or DVD's? Is that correct? I really have to have something that can be completed in three years!!!! Also, I have found that when my dd does DVD's (we did some of them through A Beka) that I sort of lose contact with what she is doing. It is simply too easy with our crazy schedules (farm, school, competitive swimmer, etc.) to just sort of "get to it tomorrow." Sometimes I find that tomorrow doesn't come for a month and then I am lost!

My dd will be 15 when she starts this program. Does the LRTEG have the Christian component like the Trivium program? I do like the sounds of the Roman centurion story.

At this point, I am leaning heavily towards LRTEG because of the three year thing and the fact that it does not require DVD's. Also, I like the fact that they still teach/review grammar quite heavily. Does the Trivium do that, too? I want to keep her hand in the grammar thing all the way through high school. I feel that it is very important. Oh, you did say that the Trivium is at the dialectic level and leaning towards the rhetoric level. What about LRTEG? We do rhetoric with TOG.

I'm sort of rattling on here, but there are so many things going through my mind. It is so hard to know which one to do. I am definitely stepping away from Latina Christiana (won't be doing Volume II). It is just not for us.

Okay, I really need to put this aside, as well as my coffee, and go outside to do the morning chores. The animals want to be fed.

Thanks again for your help.

Tammy

Hi again Tammy! LRTEG is a Christian curriculum! The first year readings in Latin are for the Lord's Prayer, O Come All Ye Faithful, The Christmas Story out of Luke, etc. In Year 2, we start translating the readings, which has been a lot of Scripture. Some has been about the Roman Republic and one was from "Caesar's Gallic Wars." Oh, and I would say that LRTEG is right up there in the dialectic to rhetoric category. I would not do this with a grammar student. Isn't it a delight to have wonderful Christian choices in various curriculums. Blessings on your decision!

Laurie,

Again, thank you for the information. It is such a pleasure to talk with you. I appreciate that you are "keeping track" of this conversation and, thereby, helping me to sort things through.

I am already excited about the next school year and we haven't even finished this one yet!

I'm sure I'll see you on the LRTEG website again.

Thanks.

Tammy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast