Thread: High School Credits for English or Literature?

Hi, I'm trying to plan out my son's credits for his first year in high school. I don't use the writing assignments with TOG since we currently use IEW instead.

What I don't understand is the description of credits offered on the Loom. It says:

1 English credit for "completing at least 3/4 of the assignments in both Literature AND Writing."

OR

1 Literature credit for "completing 3/4 of the listed Literature readings and exercises."

How is it that the student receives one credit in both situations when both are completing 3/4 of the Literature readings and assignments, but the English credit is ALSO doing 3/4 of the writing assignments?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Blessings,

Candace
    Wife to dh of 19 years
    Mom to 14 ds, 12 ds, 11 ds, 9 dd, and 5 dd

In the Y2 document for High School Credits, there is an * after those statements, but I don't see a note with one *. If I remember right from previous years, it said that if you are giving an English credit, you can not also give a full Literature credit, and vice versa. In TN, we are required to have four years of English, containing writing and literature, so that's what I do, and I don't give a literature credit. If you can give separate Literature and Composition credits, you wouldn't then give an English credit.

I hope that makes sense.
    Janet, wife to 1, mom to 10
    5 graduated, 2R, 2D, 1LG - doing Y3 again!

President, Lampstand Press
    That's about right, Janet.

We are making a distinction between separate Literature and Composition credits (where the Lit counts only for Literature credit) and a more general English credit (which combines literature and composition work for one resultant credit). Many students love literature and want to devote extra time to the discipline; we believe they should get credit for their in-depth work. Many students don't have the time or the inclination for in-depth Literature classes; our cutting chart (found on the Loom under rhetoric Literature Helps) allows you to customize the literature list with ease, spread out the assignments, and combine Literature work with our writing assignments to arrive at a general English credit. The levels reflected in the chart are as follows:

1. As written: Honors Literature credit (and way more than is needed for Honors English when combined with composition).

2. Trimming: takes it to regular Literature credit (and still more than enough for Honors English when combined with composition).

3. Cutting: takes it to Honors English when combined with significant composition--say, at least 3/4 of writing assignments.

4. Slashing: combined with sufficient compositions, this plan makes a regular English credit.

That said, if you used ANY decent writing program, and your student did a standard amount of composition work, you can still combine TOG Lit work with IEW writing work for an "English 101" credit. Most of this stuff is semantics; your goal should most likely be to make your student's transcript as like all the other that an admissions officer sees as possible, so that your student won't be rejected because the admissions officer suspects you of padding the transcript or, more likely, can't really create special categories for your student, and so rejects them out of hand.

HTH!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Thank you for the detailed reply. I always appreciate that from all the helpful ladies out there! This whole high school thing is another "new" part of home schooling. Trying to do it right for his future but still let my son enjoy the freedoms homeschooling brings.

Thanks again.

Blessings,

Candace
    Wife to dh of 19 years

Okay, sorry, but I can't find the cutting & trimming charts on the loom. Any pointers?

Candace
    Wife to dh of 19 years

Go to your year plan page from your desktop shortcut, click on any unit, scroll down until you see The Loom on the bottom right. Click on that, and you will see links to all sorts of helpful documents on the left. Go down to Literature Helps, and click on Teaching Rhetoric Literature. Go to the end of that document - Appendix D.

HTH,
    Janet, wife to 1, mom to 10
    5 graduated, 2R, 2D, 1LG - doing Y3 again!

Marcia, in your #3, is the "cutting" mean "no literature"?

Also, I plan to do the "trimming" literature, IEW/TOG compostion, Grammar studies and vocabulary through Wordly Wise along with SAT prep. Would this constitute an English credit? Honor's English?

Most of the writing assignments are history based. When would I count them for English and when could I use them in my history credit?
    How much writing should my 10th grader be expected to complete in a year?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Renae in AZ
    homeschooling 4 girls
    Next year will cycle through TOG again and am so excited!

President, Lampstand Press
    In my #3, "cutting" referred to full implementation of the Loom's cutting chart for Literature.

Your plan sounds like a good solid High School credit.

Even though assignment CONTENT is History based, the COMPOSITION is counted as Writing, or English. Topics don't have to be Literature-based to count as part of a combined English credit.

We offer 36 weeks and think of any student who does 3/4 of those assignments, combined with 3/4 of the Literature assignments as earning an English credit. In many government schools, no doubt requirements for the same credit would be far easier.

Hope this helps!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

How would you give credit if high school students are taking the TOG online classes?

I have a 9th grader in "D" literature and writing, and an 11th grader in "R" literature lite and Writing 11 in the online classes.

Would you give one English credit, or one Lit with a half in writing? Would that look "odd" on a transcript for 4 years if it didn't say English anywhere, but it said Literature one credit and writing 1/2 credit?