Thread: How are your LG students doing the maps?

Hi all -

Just curious as to how extensively your LG students are doing the map work? I only have one dd, in first grade. For week 1, I had her write in just 3 map labels. I'm now looking at the teacher maps for weeks 2, 3 and 4 and realizing there's really no way she could add all those labels without being extremely frustrated.

I'm thinking I'll either write the labels on address label stickers and have her stick them on, or just pick a couple of important spots for her to label by hand.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Melissa

So far, I have not had my first-grader write any map labels. He can write, but he needs to write fairly large letters in order to write well, and there just isn't enough space on his maps for that.

Instead, I'm requiring him to learn the names by going over them daily. He's getting very comfortable with them now. For this review, I'm using the Memory Box system which I learned from HK Diane on this forum. I've just started a thread about it in the Mom to Mom forum.

Beth
    Beth
    TOG Year 1
    Doing TOG since 2005
    R (17), D (14), UG (9)
    Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics, Discovering Mathematics
    German, Spanish

Fine motor skills are not a given in my family so I decided to type up all the place locations and have them printed out on address labels. I was able to find clear ones so they don't cover up the map. Also, I can do different colors if I want to show differences in say rivers and cities.

I'm using a great idea from some other TOG mappers that you might like as well.

A labelmaker! My kids LOVE to punch in the words on the labelmaker, print them out and place them on their map. It takes a lot of the writing frustration out AND their maps look really nice!

Diane

I have a 2nd and 3rd grader. We look at the maps in books but we are not making maps. My 3rd grader would be in tears if she had to do this because of the small handwriting needed, the neatness, etc.....
    I figure she can learn the geography better when she comes across this again in 7th grade

None of my LG kids have done the maps either. We've looked at them and talked about where things are located, but have not even attempted them.

If you are a member of the yahoo tapestry year one loop there is a file under the file section that a dear lady has uploaded that you can print onto Avery clear address labels. We did this and my kids love having the stickers to put on their maps.

We did our first one yesterday and it came out great!

I'm having my second-grader look at the places and help me find them. If we can use a symbol (a dot for a city, for example), she draws that. Then I write the names in for her. She's very happy with that.

Eventually I'd like to invest in a labelmaker and some clear labels, but right now finances are tight and this is working fine.

Originally posted by Violet:
    If you are a member of the yahoo tapestry year one loop there is a file under the file section that a dear lady has uploaded that you can print onto Avery clear address labels. We did this and my kids love having the stickers to put on their maps.

We did our first one yesterday and it came out great!
    How do I find/become a member of the yahoo group? Thank you!

Kalani
    Mom to 4 boys

Originally posted by Violet:
    I agree -- these labels are a HUGE blessing...we are on our second week of Y1 and I can't believe how easy the labels make geography!!

You can join the Yahoo group by going to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/...ar1/?yguid=433043988

I think that you can just click "Join this Group" and go from there. You will be amazed at the amount of information people have shared.
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16