Thread: Week 5 Dialectic Bible Survey & Church History answers?

I am not finding that the primary resources are sufficient for answering the D questions for Week 5 Bible Survey & Church History. For those of us not raised in the church, I have to learn right along with my children. Unless "Great Civilizations of the East" answers them (I don't have that book yet as Amazon has it on backorder for another month, but I'm guessing it is not a Bible book), I'm still lost. I can make some guesses based on Bible readings, but I don't really know the answers. For example, Genesis 11 does not go into Abram's childhood - so how can I answer question #9 asking us to compare Moses' childhood to Abram's? I have found some answers in the Rhetoric Teachers' notes, but I thought the children were supposed to be able to give answers based on their primary readings.

Please help. This (not being able to provide sufficient answers for my children or guide them appropriately) happens to me in one way or another every week. I am losing credibility with my children with each passing day.

Deb

Ok. Take a deep breath. First of all, let us take Moses which we studied for 3 weeks. We learned that he was a Hebrew who was raised as an Egyptian prince. So what was his life like as an Egyptian. What did he eat? What did he see? etc. All of the information you learned about ancient Egypt should go into play here. No new information. Abraham grew up in Mesopotamia (Ur.. that is in chapter 11). So, if you have the Excavating Mesopotamia book (which it sound like you may be using the other book, which I thought was out of print...I couldn't get it from Amazon then you have the information you need to tell about the things he might have seen and the religion that was possible. So in a way you are comparing two people who were rather well off in their cultures: Egyptian and Sumerian. Does that make sense????

christine

Thanks Christine. Yes, since there is so much information about Moses in books and the Bible, I was not concerned about describing his childhood. I was looking for similar resource that describes (literally) Abram's childhood. For example, it's readily known that Moses was raised in Pharaoh's palace. But I don't know in what type of house Abram was raised from Genesis 11. How was I to know he was rich? Weren't there poor people in Mesopotamia, too? I'm showing so much of my ignorance here, it's embarrassing. And I think this week's topic was not supposed to be all that tough so I'm concerned about the weeks ahead.

I guess I was looking for "thee" book that answers those questions - a book about the childhood of Abram would have caught my eye, you know what I mean?

I got all A's in school, but didn't learn how to learn, obviously. This curriculum is getting harder and harder for me. It's like the 4-week fog gets thicker every week. Maybe its just not right for me, but that makes me so sad because I was so excited to really use it this year with my children, to have them learn how to participate in the "great discussion" of the day. But how can they learn that if their mother is looking for checklists, fill-in-the-blank, and true/false type questions that she's so used to (but now resents)?

Sigh.

Thank you Christine for taking some time to help. I'll forge on, but I'm fighting discouragement and condemnation (self).

Deb

Hi Deb,

To be honest, I didn't know he was rich either. I got it from the teacher's notes. One thing I want to caution you about is don't feel like you have to be the expert on everything for your children. My children hear me say, "You know, that is a great question...I don't have any idea. Let's find out!!" And then we do. I e-mail Marcia or Jeannie Fulbright or whoever or maybe we find a book and then tell them what I find out. I think showing enthusiasm for the subject is MUCH more important than being concerned about having the right answer. Just ask them to answer the questions and LISTEN to what they say. Do they have interesting insights? ARe they stuck? Then have fun and look together. The links for the various areas on the TOG website have helped me a lot. I let the kids surf around on them sometimes. They said the pyramid game was hard. What do you really enjoy doing with them? Reading aloud, making things, watching documentaries??? We've rented tons of stuff from Netflix..some of it good...some of it bad. I've had a lot of questions that I haven't necessarily found the answers to, but that is ok because we are going to be doing this again and we can get into the subject more deeply because it will be more familiar to us. Don't worry about doing it "right." Just go where God leads you and enjoy the journey!!!

Christine