Thread: barton reading system

Does anyone have experience with using the Barton Reading system for a dyslexic child? I will have many more questions to follow in regards to some other curriculum choices I am looking into for my Special NEeds K daughter, but I think I will do it one at a time for now. Thanks for the help. If anyone wants to email off list, my email is stm4him@yahoo.com

God Bless,

Shaina Seville

I have not used Barton, but an acquaintance of mine who has successfully struggled with teaching a severely dyslexic son believes that it is a very good program (though expensive). If you want an Orton-Gillingham approach that is planned out for you lesson by lesson, Barton is a good way to go.
    Beth
    TOG Year 1
    Doing TOG since 2005
    R (17), D (14), UG (9)
    Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics, Discovering Mathematics
    German, Spanish

Hi, we use Barton with our 8 year old son and he really likes it. He was in private school, but we will be homeschooling him in September. The private school he was at used Barton as well, as does the private school just north of us. My son likes it because it doesn't seem like work to him!

The Barton program is a very thorough and excellent Orton-Gillingham based phonics curriculum. There are others as well.

My favorite is the Wilson Reading System--I think it is a bit more teacher friendly and I like the manipulatives better. They also have several elementary sets for K, 1, and 2.

Vowac has been around for many years. They have a homeschool rental type of program (at least last time I checked), which can cut down on the cost.

Go Phonics is supposedly O-G based also, but I haven't had the opportunity to review it except reading their website, so I'm not sure how thorough it is or how they sequence the phonemes and rules.

I've had my son using a computer-based software phonics program called "Lexia." It's about as expensive as these other O-G programs, but has been the most effective thus far in having the intensity he has needed to apply the phonetic rules in both decoding and spelling.

Also, Explode the Code now has an internet-based version that has a year-subscription and progress monitoring. I would probably reserve these last 2 options for when your daughter is a bit older, in case she needs continued work on the same rules, but needs a change of format to keep it fresh.

I have been using Barton's for a few years with my dyslexic son. I would be happy to answer any questions.
    Blessings,
    Jean

Does anyone know of schools (public or private) and/or school districts that are using the Barton Reading & Spelling Program? I would appreciate any resources you could give me.
    Debbie