Thread: Poetics and Frameworks

Hello!
    I have taught rhetoric literature the past 3 years and we have always had assignments from Poetics and Frameworks. I am trying to get organized for the up coming year and I can't find these items on my Loom disc or on the website. We are using a first edition of Redesign Y1.

Can anyone help me?

Dawn
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

Dear Dawn,

I'm teaching Redesigned 1 for the first time this year after using Redesigned 3 and 4. From what I can tell, Words of Delight is used instead of Poetics and Frameworks.
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2

Susan is correct. :-)

Christy Somerville

Christy,
    Can I ask why we don't have access to Poetics and Frameworks for Y1. We are only on week 1 and I am already pulling up the Frameworks to help my freshman son with definitions that pertain to this weeks poetry lesson. I find the document to be invaluable to teach the "language" of literature discussion and I am really confused as to why such an important, helpful, well written document would not be accessible.

In addition the Poetics has a great section at the beginning on the oldest poetry and Biblical poetics. Would that not be helpful for this first unit of Y1?

Plus, if we are going to use those documents in all other year plans, to me it makes sense to train the students how to use them now.
    Just curious as to the reasoning.

Aren't you glad we are clamoring for your writing!

Dawn
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    When Year 1 was written, we had not conceived of Poetics and Frameworks and, instead, relied largely on Words of Delight. As the Redesign project continued, we realized that other Year-Plans would need some type of reference handbook and thus, Poetics and Frameworks was born.

We do plan on going back through and making some adaptations using Poetics and Frameworks that will benefit Year 1 users. However, that is months away.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Dana, Is there any reason those of us that have DE could not have access to Poetics and Frameworks in their current state? There is quite a lot of useful information already in the documents. We have used it for the last 3 years and are rather dependent upon it at this point

Thanks for all you do!
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

Hi Dawn. :-)

I know just what you mean about feeling dependent on Poetics and Frameworks. I am also teaching Year 1 this year after teaching with P&F for two years in a row, and even though I wrote them, I feel a little lost without them! However, I want to share with you the two things I've been reminding myself as I face down this year:

1) I think it's actually really good, once students have had some of the training in P&F, to then step away from those resources and be forced to work without them. P&F can almost begin to be like crutches after awhile, and I want my students to be able to walk without them! Besides, in Year 1 we do teach a LOT of the concepts that were later incorporated into P&F, so the language is far from unfamiliar. Finally, I'm trying to take an attitude of "I GET to take off with my students now into anything and everything we want to talk about, without worrying about teaching P&F concepts each week. I don't have to worry about P&F again until Y2! This could be fun!"

2) If you really find it tough to teach without Poetics, you can print off the Y4 version that you have and refer to it as needed throughout the year. I wouldn't bother to print Frameworks, because it has nothing in it prior to the Medieval World, but Poetics might be genuinely useful. Just be aware of how far we've come in our use of tools and definitions of terms since Year 1!---you won't always find that what is in Poetics matches with Words of Delight or some of the Year 1 class plans.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if it doesn't!

Christy Somerville

P.S. Just so you know, there ARE all sorts of copyright issues with giving P&F to Year 1 customers... that wasn't an arbitrary decision. However, as long as you don't mind the discrepancies between the two, I don't think it's a problem for you to keep your Y4 Poetics handy (after all, you bought and paid for it!) and use it if you can.