Thread: egyptian fig cakes

I tried the recipe that was suggested, it didn't work. My blender couldn't chop the figs. I added too much water now it is too pasty and I can't form a ball, plus I have big chuncks of fig.

I have 25 people coming over for our end celebration and this was suppose to be our dessert. Any suggestions?

Thanks Michelle

We made these with great success. Hmmm, how to remediate? I used a mini food processor and only added a dribble of water at the end. You might want to throw that batch out and start fresh.

I added the dry ingredients to the mini food processor and pulsed until it was mealy. Then only added a touch of water as needed and pulsed until it was a sticky consistency. The figs came out nice and fine, not large like I guess your blender left it.

If you want to remediate what you have, you need to probably chop the figs with a chef's knife to make smaller (if your blender is all you have and it might need help with the chopping). To balance out the wet figs, you would need to add more of the dry ingredients. I wonder if drying it out in a warm oven would help.

I know what it's like for a recipe to fail for an event. That has happened to me plenty of times (most times). I hope you are able to find a solution. If not, I would not worry about it. We had so much fun at our celebration that my mom and dh were impressed. The fig cakes and other foods we did were not a big hit with me. Dh and the kids ate them for lunch everyday until they were gone. I don't know what my mother thought of the food itself, but she appreciated all the hard work that went into the celebration.

For anyone who has made the fig cakes - did you use dried figs or fresh ones? I would think that would make a big difference in the consistency of the batter. Our health food store is currently selling fresh ones but only for a couple more weeks. The dried ones are available year round.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Deb

We used dried. The fresh ones would make the dough moister, which might be a good thing.

HTH!
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2

I used dried. I couldn't get it to work. The consistancy just wasn't there.

Michelle

We used dried figs and the recipe worked great. We used a mini food processor which did the job well.

I don't know what the recipe is, but for future reference, you can soak dried fruits in water for a few hrs. to soften. This will make them easier to chop and you won't have to add a lot of water. HTH!

Michelle