Thread: Need help deciding on TOG

Hi, I am quite intrigued by TOG but am trying to decide if it is for me. I have 5 dds, ages 9, 7, 4, 1, and newborn. I also live in Washington State.

I have been using Story of the World for history up until now. Has anyone else made that switch? What do you think?

I'd also like to hear from family's who have stuck with Tapestry for more than four years. Is it working just as well for you the second time through? I want to make sure that if I purchase it, I will use it for the long haul.

Thanks!
    Thankful to be homeschooling six precious blessings, ages 11, 8, 5, 3, 18 months and newborn.

Momof5girls,

We are just about to launch into our 6th year of using TOG. We have used Y1 twice now (once with Classic, once with Redesign) and are ready for another visit to Y2.

It really is different the second (and I would therefore assume the third) time through. Different books, different discussions, and different kids since they are thinking at entirely different levels four years later.

Remember that TOG is so much more than just history...pretty much everything but math, science and high school grammar.

Take your time to research and ask questions. The ladies here at this forum are very helpful!

Have a pleasant day,

Jean

momof5girls.... did you make it to the WHO convention last weekend?

I was a booth hostess that weekend. and blond.... <wink>

If not... I am on the Kitsap Peninsula.... are we close?

Lisa
    Lisawa

Thanks, Jean. It's good to know that TOG is something good enough to stick with for an extended time.

Lisa, I did make it to the conference and spoke with you. I'm sure you spoke with many people but in case it jogs your memory we came in stating that we had already seen TOG on the internet. We are in the Kent area.
    Thankful to be homeschooling six precious blessings, ages 11, 8, 5, 3, 18 months and newborn.

Wonderful! I'm so glad you have found the forums!

Were you able to look through the promotional pack? I'm hoping Patty or I gave you one! I hope! ** We gave a ton of those away...

I would like to say... you can keep using SOTW. It is now a text scheduled in the new redesigns! So you wouldn't have to switch... technically speaking..... ** You can use it as a spine or read aloud....

SOTW is not scheduled in the classic but we still use the cds. We listen at lunch time. **

Glad you found the forum.... we have a lot of great woman and men on here.

Lisa~
    Lisawa

Hi,
    I found your post when I did a search for "Washington." Just trying to see if there are other families near me using this curriculum. Did you decide to try it? I purchased the redesign yr. 1 in late August and and I am still "wading" my way through it trying to get some type of plan. I live in Renton.

Hello!
    We are on Year 2 the first time around but wanted to say that Story of the World goes hand in hand with TOG. I mostly do the SOTW crafts and things with my younger 2, 7 and 5 and use the TOG for recommended reading and writing assignments. SOTW has alot of crafts and activities for their age. My olders 14, 13 and 11 use TOG.

Wrapped in the arms of Jesus,
    Deann, Happy Wife to Ron and Joyful Mommy to Petra 14, Miriam 13, Kenaniah 11, Genesis 7, Shalom 5, Adonai 3 and baby due in March