Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: K-Mom and TOG with Little People Only

So, I have all little people (6,4,1). I love the idea of teaching myself first and I'm glad that I've got the time with my kids being so young. But-forgive me if I've missed a previous discussion-, I struggle with enjoying school with such little people. I love to teach, but I think my oldest feels a little alienated and my middle one a little lost. Baby seems to get a lot of attention, of course. My oldest is "working" all morning while the others get to play-from her point of view. My middle girl seems bored and is wanting my attention. I don't have older kids to help with the baby for a bit, really. My four year old will play with the baby some, but she cannot be left in charge of course. But my six year old needs a lot of direction at her age. I'm really unsure of how to balance this out so that everyone gets enough attention, baby is safe, and my attention I give my oldest is not always school related. If anyone has been here and has tips, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

This has become my new favorite thread on the forum. I'm getting chills just because you are all having so much FUN educating yourselves and your kids! It blows me away that we and our families should be blessed as much as this. How kind God has been, and what grace He has poured out on our lives! Thank you for reminding me why I do what I do.

Christy

President, Lampstand Press
    Originally posted by purpletree83:
    So, I have all little people (6,4,1). I love the idea of teaching myself first and I'm glad that I've got the time with my kids being so young. But-forgive me if I've missed a previous discussion-, I struggle with enjoying school with such little people. I love to teach, but I think my oldest feels a little alienated and my middle one a little lost. Baby seems to get a lot of attention, of course. My oldest is "working" all morning while the others get to play-from her point of view. My middle girl seems bored and is wanting my attention. I don't have older kids to help with the baby for a bit, really. My four year old will play with the baby some, but she cannot be left in charge of course. But my six year old needs a lot of direction at her age. I'm really unsure of how to balance this out so that everyone gets enough attention, baby is safe, and my attention I give my oldest is not always school related. If anyone has been here and has tips, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    You *might* benefit from viewing my webinar, "Tips for Teaching a Houseful" now mounted for free here with other webinars that we've given and recorded this summer.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Thanks Marcia, but for some reason I can't seem to access that site.

Try this link, scroll down to where the recorded workshops are listed and click on "Tips for Teaching a Houseful."

Virtual Conference Workshops

HTH!
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2

Thank you Marcia and Susan, I finally figured it out! I did find some helpful information in there.

Hi. I just wanted to jump in here and say that the Webinar on "Tips for Teaching a Houseful" is a God-send. I Have a 6,5,3, and 1 year old right now, and I have to admit I cried a bit while listening to it. It was so encouraging for me to finally hear some encouragement on ordering my household as a "quiet home" (not that the kids are quiet -- but that we are not running around frantically trying to participate in everything). The foundations are being laid now and I do not want to lay any other foundation than Christ Jesus -- and that means staying home and missing a lot of activities so that I can learn to be an excellent wife and mother -- this includes learning how to teach them! Children absorb so much so quickly that I really do need to train myself before they catch up!
    I greatly look forward to our year with TOG and all the exploring that we will do. I can read up at night and my husband is so thrilled to be a part of our learning. What a joy!

Can I just say I'm ecstatic I found this thread?!?!?! Thank you Janice for all this wonderful info! My eldest is 7--we're starting Year 2 in just a couple weeks and I really want to get a head start on some of the reading! Though I may have previously read it in Tapesties materials, I never thought to teach myself at the Rhetoric level! How exciting! Plus, this time era (year 2--middle ages, etc) is my favorite of all time! It will definitely keep me moving forward.

Thank you also, Marcia for the link to your webinar. I will be listening to that tonight. I have four children, ages 7, 4, 2, 1. I relate well with "purpletree"!

Hello All,
    I wanted to jump in here, at the beginning of the New Decade, and say that YES it is all so worth learning all the Rhetoric Level!! Many of my friends began at Grammar & Dialectic Levels but my oldest was Rhetoric when we began. Now, I've been in Rhetoric for 6 years and continue learning more every year, but my understanding is so much deeper and interlaces so well with all the threads.... I am so blessed!
    "Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song!" Psalm 28:6,7 (NIV)

I will be starting TOG Year 1 in a few months with my LG 1st grader, and I'm considering purchasing some books for myself to self educate. I'm just curious......should I start with the Dialectic Level for this cycle and then move up to the Rhetoric in 4 years? I definitely wasn't taught History the way TOG does it, and I'm a little concerned about jumping right into Rhetoric level work, lol. So I guess my question is, would I benefit from doing Dialectic first and then Rhetoric, or do most of you who self educate go ahead and start with Rhetoric? I know some might not have had the time, but since I am starting with a 1st grader, I will have lots of time, lol. I would appreciate any input, thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast