Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I get your opinon on my weekly overview page?

Good ideas! I never thought of pasting my HIW CD timeline figures onto the people pages, but that's a wonderful idea. I appreciate your sharing all your stuff.

And, I just have to say I love you because you own a mac, too ;-) .

Are you in Savannah yet? WE just left the N Ga mtns for New Hampshire!

Deanna

P.S. My LG (8 yo) is advanced in everything except work ethic and handwriting skills. Do you have your LG write their own things or do you do dictation? It takes mine, who also suffers from a serious case of inborn dawdling, a long time to do any writing. I'm becoming baffled as to how to work with it. She even takes a long time to walk across the room!! Right now she has to write one page (roughly 2-3 sentences) on each person and do writing assignments for Level 2, along with some copywork (on the days we aren't writing a paragraph). How do you handle writing?

My LG (8 yo) is advanced in everything except work ethic and handwriting skills. Do you have your LG write their own things or do you do dictation? It takes mine, who also suffers from a serious case of inborn dawdling, a long time to do any writing. I'm becoming baffled as to how to work with it. She even takes a long time to walk across the room!! Right now she has to write one page (roughly 2-3 sentences) on each person and do writing assignments for Level 2, along with some copywork (on the days we aren't writing a paragraph). How do you handle writing?
    For LA we're using Primary Language Lessons by Margot Davidson. It has composition lessons within it so I've just been capitalizing on those in other areas like with the biography page.

I have mine write her own but I help with spelling by dictating the correct spelling to her for any words she asks about. I could write them on the board but I find that spelling the words verbally to her is sharpening her listening skills.

This is what dd7 (8 in July) is currently doing for language arts.

1.In Bible, she's reading and answering comprehension questions.
    2.Independent reading each day, either 1 chapter or 20 minutes long.
    3. Primary Language Lessons by Margot Davidson: include picture study, copywork, dictation, grammar, composition, poetry, etc. in an informal (Charlotte Mason) way.
    4. Poetry memorization: illustrates, copies and recites a poem until memorized
    5. Explode the Code: currently in book 6, I felt she needed the reinforcement and it's working for her
    6. Cross-curricula LA focus in science and history

We have short lessons which is a huge motivator for dd7 to get done. We work from 7:30 to 12:00 each day and I give them (ds3 too) the afternoons to play or do something they would like to do. Using a stopwatch and stopping a lesson when the time is up has been wonderful here. I don't have to push dd7 anymore about doing her work. If you find your LG taking too much time, switch tactics, change the subject (literally!), work on something else and go back to it. Math was a trouble spot here for a while until I started using the stopwatch. I do two things, on Monday I time her to see how quickly she accomplishes her work. I put that time on the dry erase board so she can try to beat it each day. I also eliminated unnecessary work, if she is able to get 5 addition problems correct, she doesn't have to do the other 5. What a motivator!

Here's our times for our subjects:
    Bible 15
    Math 30
    Reading 20
    Poetry 15
    History or Science 30
    Grammar (PLL) 15
    Phonics 15
    French 15
    Piano 15
    Read Aloud 20-30

= average 3-4 hours a day

Is writing fun for your dd? I would talk to her about it and get her input. There may be a reason she dwaddles. Maybe the work is too long or she wants you with her, I don't know. I assign chores for uncooperative behavior, play time gets shorter and shorter. I haven't had any problems with dwaddling since changing to shorter lessons, that might be a consideration.

I hope this helps, I'm not sure it did.

Using TOG Y3, with LG focus and Writing Aids

I'm really overwelmed by year 2 TOG and how to organize it for my almost 7 and 4 year olds. Do I just pick and choose what I want to do in the first unit. I am trying this out with the sample. Week 20 has fun studies of the U.S. History. We made a salt map yesterday and labeled the landforms. Now what for day 2-read the books. Then tomorrow, should we do the writing projects??? I need help! Beth

Beth,
    First, you do not have to do everything that is in TOG.

This is what we do LG:

Monday
    We read the Core book, looking at the map when necessary to see where we are talking about. If we have time (history is only 30 min), we start on our project for the week or do a coloring page.

Tuesday
    We continue reading Core book if necessary or move on to the literature book (dd7 usually reads). Complete mapwork if we chose it for the week, work on project/coloring page.

Wednesday
    Finish any reading unless Dd7 is independently reading a book, I split the book up among the 5 days. Finish project. Finish literature worksheet when book is finished.

Thursday/Friday
    Tie up any loose ends for the week.

We're not strictly scheduled with it, we just accomplish what we want to do for the week. History is not our most important subject right now so I keep it brief but engaging.

Jessica

Using TOG Y3, with LG focus and Writing Aids

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12