Thread: The Golden Goblet - dd LOVED it - are there other books about tomb raiders?

She would like to read more (preferably historical fiction) about tomb raiders. Our librarian directed her to the section on Lara Croft, Tomb Raider -- NOT what she or I are looking for!!

Does anyone know of any other fiction on the topic that would be appropriate for a middle schooler?

Thank you!

President, Lampstand Press
    How about real life stories of the archaeology of these tombs? Might be a more wholesome direction, yet still full of fascinating information about Egyptian culture.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Hello!
    I agree with Marcia about studying the archaeology angle - check your library for info about Carter (found Tut's tomb),etc. At my library that is all mixed in with the books on Egypt - call numbers 930-something, as I recall. My guys read a realy interesting book on cat mummies a couple of years ago - found in the same section. As far as fiction goes, have you read Cat of Bubastes by Henty? The protagonists are boys and the story is full of action, although not about tomb-robbers. My boys loved it, maybe your daughter would as well. You could also check Bethlehem Books - publishers of Hittite Warrior (read later in yr 1) - for books about Egypt.
    Happy Hunting!
    April

I have an old and intriguing book called The Caves of the Great Hunters by Hans Baumann. It is a collection of stories of the finds of various cave paintings around Europe. It is an enjoyable book to read.

It does include dating that would not match a young earth perspective and that dating comes out of a religous man's mouth (character in the story). Also he supposes the cave paintings possible magical/religous use by the orginal painters.

The stories are all true, but are woven together by the religous man who comes to see the cave of Lascaux which was found by some boys (other cave paintings were also found by other children).

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try to steer her toward the actual accounts of tomb explorers like Howard Carter.

Also, she just started The Cat of Bubastes this week; she liked the look of it because of the gold cat on the cover. Ahh, the things that appeal to 12yo girls!

Really, she is loaded up with reading and schoolwork, this being our first year with TOG, but I hate to not capitalize on an interest she has expressed, especially in history, which she has found boring up to this point. She loved The Golden Goblet, though, and she also also loves the TOG geography, so we are off to a good start. Thank you TOG!!

Just another thought for you...Since your daughter is already doing alot of reading, could you try books on CDs? Focus on the Family has some wonderful readers theater productions. My boys, ages 13 and 15 (also cat lovers like your dd and myself!) love these and listen to them for fun while they are building with legos or whatever else they do in thier room. Of historical interest are the Luke Chronicles (not sure if that is still the title, but it is all about Luke and the New Testament), and Ben-hur. Squanto would fit during early colonial America, but that is another year! Dicken's Christmas Carol is outstanding easy to find for not much money. Of course, Chronicles of Narnia done as readers theatre are not to be missed...Can you tell we are enthusiastic about Focus on the Family's readers theater?! Henty books are available in audio as well - at least some of them. Enjoy your studies and fun reading/listening!
    Blessings,
    April