Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian TOG Year

Hello Ladies,

Just thought I'd see if anyone was interested in what I am going to work on over the next year. I have been really feeling the need to do a year of Canadian History. I used Year 2 last year and am currently using Year 3. I am hoping to do a year of Canadian History next year, followed by Year 4 the year after that.

Soooo, I'm going to try to create a TOG like plan for Canadian History. Is anyone interested in giving their input? I have no idea how I am going to pull this off (so if you have any direction Marcia, I would love some steps you go through to create these plans), but I am going to try my best. As I work very slowly through this, I'll let you all know what I come up with. Some areas I won't touch, because I don't do ALL of TOG (as I know we shouldn't), but I would like to cover: history readings, literature, world view, geography, history and literature discussions, writing, lapbooks. We don't have a co-op and I don't get around to the hands-on, so I wouldn't try to attempt that area.

I live in London, Ontario. If anyone is interested in getting in on this project, please let me know!

Liz

Hi Liz! I'm in! I could research Canadain literature, and once I've read a few, I could let you know. Do you have an email addy? Great stuff Liz, we can do this with the Lord's help. There's not a big market, but our kids deserve to learn some of their great heritage too!
    Karyn

"...any dignity in man is derived from his being made in the image of God. ... Renaissance humanists (and possibly modern encyclopedia authors) objected to this and saught to find inherent worth in man indepen

Dear Sheilclan,

I would highly recommend that you speak to Sarah Mitchell who started on the same project some 3-4 yrs ago. She'll probably have some helpful tips for you.

Do a search of TOG and I'm sure you'll find her email for contact.

blessings,
    SS

Thank you Karyn and SS,

I'll search for Sarah Mitchell's posts and see what I can find.

Karyn, I'm not sure how to give you my email without posting it online. (I hate all the junk email I'd get). Any suggestions how to trade emails?

Liz

Sure! Here's mine: karynpapadatos@hotmail.com Just put in the subject head TOG EH? or something so obvious that it's a Canadian togger, then I'll open it instead of delete it LOL

"...any dignity in man is derived from his being made in the image of God. ... Renaissance humanists (and possibly modern encyclopedia authors) objected to this and saught to find inherent worth in man indepen

Hey Liz,
    We are new to homeschooling and are discouraged(but not surprised)at the lack of Canadian history resources. Right now we are doing Sonlight but because of the intense US history I am looking to change. TOG looks like a good fit and I am excited about your project. Would you please let me know how you are comming along?
    I have found a great set of historical fiction books by Maple Tree Press called "Canadian Flyer Adventures" We are really enjoying them, maybe you will too.
    We live in North Western Ontario where it is a balmy -28c right now.

Hi Ladies,
    The Canadian Flyer Adventures seem like an interesting series. We are currently using TOG Year 2 Unit 3, and I'm trying to read some selections from the Story of Canada (by Janet Lunn & Christopher Moore). 'm wondering if anyone has tried that book. I'm also looking into the Donna Ward's series of Canadian books. If anyone has used or tried any of these books along with TOG please let me know your thoughts. I will let you know how Story of Canada is going as we get further into the book.

Gen. Near the Pearson Airport in Mississauga.

Hey Liz,

I just wanted to bump this thread to see if any Canadian TOG users are still alive and well out there. We have just completed our third year of TOG (Year 4), and I feel like I really failed in our Canadian studies. It was just too much for me to pull together while I was learning to do all the other stuff. Since we will be doing Year One in the fall, I won't be doing any Canadian history, but I am willing to put in some research time if I can be of any use to you and what you are putting together. I would really like to do a better job of integrating Canadian history with the rest of TOG on our second time through.

I look forward to some more discussion on this topic from all the Canadian TOG users out there.

Blessings,

Carol
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
    Gal. 6:9

We'll be using Donna Wards Courage and Conquest all side TOG yr 2 this year.
    I'll let you know how it goes I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard. As we read about the Colonies, we'll also read about what's happening in Canada in that time period.
    Lauralee

Originally posted by Lauralee:
    We'll be using Donna Wards Courage and Conquest all side TOG yr 2 this year.
    I'll let you know how it goes I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard. As we read about the Colonies, we'll also read about what's happening in Canada in that time period.
    Another Canadian here. We just moved back to Canada after 11 years overseas and I am also looking to add Canadian content to our studies. We will be doing TOG Year 1 this fall so I have lots of time to plan what to do for the year after that.

Lauralee thank you for posting your plan. I just found out about Dona Ward's website and I will check out your selection.

Blessings,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast