Thread: The Discarded Image

Can someone tell me what happened to "The Discarded Image" as a literature book? It's assigned reading in many weeks of my re-design Y2. I can't find it on the Bookshelf or listed on the book replacement list. I teach our co-op's literature class and I am not sure how to handle a book that's listed in some versions of TOG and not others.

Help!

Dawn
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

I noticed it was moved to the alternate list.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim ~ Ovid
    For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison ~ Paul
    http://rivendellpress.wordpress.com/

I think it was removed because its depth and readability were pretty high. (I even think I read something like that somewhere.)

I read it when we went through Year Two the first time and it was worth while, but I am used to reading college level nonfiction and I still struggled with the work.

I learned a lot and it helped me at a show of Spanish Renaissance art where many of the motifs were incorporated into the art on display. It will also help with Paradise Lost as Milton use much of the same imagery. But it is probably not essential to appreciation.

I would say if you are teaching the literature level in a large co-op you might want to read this and if you have older and advanced students you could challenge them to read it. But mostly you'd be safe in leaving it off.

Pat,
    Thanks for the opinion. I have started reading it and haven't found it too difficult.
    Do you think it is a higher level read than "Words of Delight"?
    And how do you teach from a teaching script ( my 2007 version) that includes references to a book that student's aren't required to read?

Karen, Weird that when I pulled up the alternate list it wasn't listed, but it is listed in my friends newer DE version as an alternate.

Thanks ladies!
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

I do think the level is higher than Words of Delight, but its been too long for me to say how much.

Since I have not yet approached those scripts I don't have any great fail safe ideas. The main thing I think you would want to do is make sure the students have the concepts that the scripts cover which means you'll need to lecture on those points if you don't think other works cover them.