Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you using for grammar?

Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Jean

I'm not using it yet, but I am seriously thinking of switching to Easy Grammar next year. I have heard wonderful things about it, and it's less expensive than some other options. They've recently added a high school option as well. I think TOG sells some of them as well. HTH!
    Tami
    mom to 6 girls

We've used R&S very loosely (read, orally) for several years. I had my dc use Easy Grammar last year, but they asked to go back to R&S this year. I don't know if it was just because they were used to it, or because they do grammar with me instead of in a workbook, but they say they like it much more. I thought EG looked fine, though, and would've stuck with it.

We've used Easy Grammar for a couple of years and my boys love it. The idea of learning the prepositions first really made sense to me. It reduces confusion in choosing the wrong word as the subject/verb of a sentence. We do every other page orally so that I can make sure they understand the concept, then they do the other pages on their own. We also implemented the Memory Box that I saw on here for them to learn the prepositions or other grammar rules.
    Becky in OH

Easy Grammar has been a big hit in our home. This Tapestry recommendation has indeed been an "easy" presentation and review of the rules of grammar.

My son has declared that "Grammar is the one of my favorite subjects" (the other is science)

educaring

Rod and Staff all the way for grammar here! My then 9th grader used R&S grade 8 last year, and I thought it was very high school worthy. He is doing the 9/10 grade book 1 this year just to keep skills sharp. Since he is doing so much literature and will be doing much more writing, I am trying to keep grammar relatively painless. thus, he only has to read the lesson and read through the exercises. He does the editing woksheets because we have to have something to turn in to our umbrella school. My 8th grader is using R&S 8 this year. Both boys are great grammarians!

Blessings,
    April

We use Abeka.

Rod & Staff. Now that my kids are 4th and 3rd grade, they read the lesson themselves, and we do oral drill together. I only have them do the written work if it is about writing or if they need things reinforced.
    12yodd loves all things science
    12yods loves building anything & animals

Thanks, Ladies. We use Rod & Staff right now and are happy with it, but I am thinking of switching to CLE instead. I have also looked at EG. I am thinking my kids would really like a workbook gramar program instead of writing everything out.
    Blessings,
    Jean

We follow a weird sequence but it works well for us. I start with Easy Grammar because I agree, the prepositions presentation is better than anyones. I can't remember what year I used - didn't do all of it, and I don't think it matters too much. Then I take the kiddos thrugh Winston Grammar followed by Rod and Staff English levels 6 and seven. After Rod and Staff six, we start Latin in the Christian Trivium which can be well done by a 6th grader who has this solid grammar foundation.
    Aletha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast