Thread: TOG Writing Tool

My daughter is 15 with some learning disabilities. we are jumping in to the TOG writing, year 4, with week 10. we haven't done much formal writing, and we don't have any resource book to go by. Would you suggest the TOG writing cd/book? I want to help her be as successful as possible.
    Thanks,
    Bonnie

I really like the Writer's Aid materials.

The one place you'll want to be careful is her level. Since she hasn't written a lot, you'll want to start her at a lower level.

You may wish to find a level and back up a few weeks so she can work through the "Steps in the Writing Process."

I, too, really like Writing Aids. I find it so helpful to have a good description of the genres with some teaching helps and then corresponding student pages. But for me, the best part is the evaluation section with rubrics and spectrums. It has helped us tremendously to have a clear set of written standards before even beginning the assignment. Grading work is much, much easier with these tools, too. I have a BS degree in agricultural journalism so writing usually comes quite easily to me. So I have to be very careful not to expect too much nor be too harsh when evaluating writing assignments. Writing Aids has been a blessing for us.

Blessings,
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks for you help. How would i find the writing process and know just where to begin? Is it laid out in the writing aid?
    Thanks,
    BOnnie
    Originally posted by rbon:
    My daughter is 15 with some learning disabilities. we are jumping in to the TOG writing, year 4, with week 10. we haven't done much formal writing, and we don't have any resource book to go by. Would you suggest the TOG writing cd/book? I want to help her be as successful as possible.
    Thanks,
    Bonnie

Yes, there is a section in Writing Aids entitled "Steps in the Writing Process."

However, if I were you, I'd look at the writing assignments for the first 4-6 weeks in the Yr 4 base unit. Page through the assignments for the different levels and decide which one you think is closest to her current ability. Then, start at the beginning. Each year plan begins with review of basic writing steps and principles. The assignments are broken down into nicely-sized pieces. To further explain concepts and see examples, you use whatever reference you wish -- Writing Aids, a Write Source handbook, something from the library.

If you do not have the Yr 4 base unit, you would need to either make up your own assignments or find another resource. Writing Aids is a wonderful reference and excellent teaching tool, but it does not contain daily or weekly assignments.

Hope this helps! Blessings,
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11