Thread: What to use for Writing/Grammar/Spelling

Hi, I recieved TOG Y1 and am doing fine with the lesson planning for it except I am confused on a couple things.

Do the Writing assignments cover grammar well enough for not needing a seperate Grammar program?

How do most people do Spelling lists, as in how often and how much do you do each day? I realize there is a list that can be used in TOG.

Where does copywork come in with the writing? Looking at the Writing assignments, I am a bit confused about this.

Do the lapbooks get to be too much writing on top of the writing assignments?

How often do most do writing assignments? Daily?

I only have the Y1 plans, I do not have the Writing Aids. My daughters are quite advanced in their reading skills and love to write letters, but hate writing very much that seems boring to them. They are 5 and 6, and although people tell me I should lay off on teaching them grammar because "they are still young, don't be so serious," I see them forming bad habits just playing around. So I really want to teach them correctly in schooling because they are beyond ready to learn correctly. I don't expect their attention span to match their abilities, but I don't want them forming bad habits to have to break either. This happened with teaching them phonics. People discouraged me from encouraging their desire to read at 3 yr and my oldest actually did worse and then had to break her habit of reading sight words instead of sounding out words phonetically.

Any advice and suggestions, I would greatly appreciate! Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,
    Courtney

Please note, many of answers to specific questions will be more appropriate for older children than yours.

Originally posted by AdventurenMom:
    Hi, I recieved TOG Y1 and am doing fine with the lesson planning for it except I am confused on a couple things.

Do the Writing assignments cover grammar well enough for not needing a seperate Grammar program?
    No, you will want to buy a separate grammar program. TOG suggests Easy Grammar which I like.

How do most people do Spelling lists, as in how often and how much do you do each day? I realize there is a list that can be used in TOG.
    The word lists included with TOG are not spelling list, but vocabulary lists. You should plan to get an appropriate spelling program. I use Spelling Power, but there are many programs out there.

Where does copywork come in with the writing? Looking at the Writing assignments, I am a bit confused about this.
    TOG really doesn't have copy work assignments. Occasionally you may have a suggestion of copywork or dictation in the writing program, but if you would like to do copy work, you'll need to do this on your own. You could certainly pull quotes from the literature read.

How often do most do writing assignments? Daily?
    I think you will find this varies depending on the assignment and the child.

I only have the Y1 plans, I do not have the Writing Aids. My daughters are quite advanced in their reading skills and love to write letters, but hate writing very much that seems boring to them. They are 5 and 6, and although people tell me I should lay off on teaching them grammar because "they are still young, don't be so serious," I see them forming bad habits just playing around. So I really want to teach them correctly in schooling because they are beyond ready to learn correctly. I don't expect their attention span to match their abilities, but I don't want them forming bad habits to have to break either. This happened with teaching them phonics. People discouraged me from encouraging their desire to read at 3 yr and my oldest actually did worse and then had to break her habit of reading sight words instead of sounding out words phonetically.

Any advice and suggestions, I would greatly appreciate! Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,
    Courtney
    Well I say wait on grammar. Easy Grammar begins at 2nd grade, wait until then. BUT you can certainly correct the oral mistakes they are making and more importantly model good spoken English to them.

I also think I would not force a 5 or 6 year old to do a lot of writing. Maybe a couple of lines of copy work, a standard handwriting program, and their own letters, stories, etc.

Certainly you don't want to discourage learning what they are interested in, but you don't want to be so formal or get so far ahead that they come to hate learning. So study what they are interested in with fervor and leave other topics to the amount most 5 and 6 year olds do.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thank you very much for your reply Pat! That was helpful.
    Courtney

Courtney,

When my son was in first grade, I discovered Jessie Wise's "First Language Lessons." It is a wonderful, gentle approach to teaching grammar. I did it orally with my son over the course of two years. I highly recommend it. We moved on to Easy Grammar after that.

Lisa W in ME

Originally posted by LisaW in Maine:
    Courtney,

When my son was in first grade, I discovered Jessie Wise's "First Language Lessons." It is a wonderful, gentle approach to teaching grammar. I did it orally with my son over the course of two years. I highly recommend it. We moved on to Easy Grammar after that.

Lisa W in ME
    We also used this w/ our youngest 2 w/ great success!

Spelling Power doesn't start until grade 3, unless they are very settled in ALL phonics rules
    For younger ones I would use a Phonics program w/ appropriate spelling words each week, We've always used Alphabet Island

kim
    Kimberly Boyenger in Kansas
    Wife to Vernon of 31 years
    Homeschooling mom to:
    Levi 28-married to Katie w/ 1 grandson Elijah
    Luke 26-Financial officer
    Leah 24- married to AJ w/ 1 Grandson Emery and w/ baby Willow due in July
    Lydia 16-11th grade ( adopted from Guatemala in 2000)
    Lance 12-7th

Spelling Power has been great for my older children, while I used it with some success with my first grader last year. She began reading with "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons," which taught her phonetically. This prepared her well for learning to spell. She's not great...but I have great hopes for her.

Instead of testing her day after day like Spelling Power shows for the older children, you can use part of the curriculum that is geared towards younger children (in the middle of the book) which references presenting a small list of words (10-15) ... having them write, spell aloud, discuss the meaning, use it in a sentence, then write again ...something liek that. We've not started up Spelling yet for the Fall. We're just preparing our plans!

I plan to use that approach for teaching her the vocab listed in each TOG unit.

Grammar ... I just used Abeka Book language workbook plus their daily oral language book, which helps the children to adjust hearing and speaking with proper grammar.

Have fun!!!