Thread: Answers to Bible Survey and Church History

I consistently find that the teacher notes do not contain answers to the questions listed in the Bible Survey and Church History section. This is sometimes true of the geography section as well. Sometimes the notes contain the answers and sometimes the notes do not. I am currently on week 33 and there are 12 questions on the Book of Acts. Is there any place where I can find the discussion on these to help me with my discussion with the children. I am homeschooling three children at different levels and I am not always able to spend the time to keep up with them on all topics. I really love this curriculum but the lack of consitency when it comes to having the information to help my children get through the written activities is really frustrating. If I can't find it, I have no choice but to have them skip some or all of it. Not a very satisfying experience.

President, Lampstand Press
    Are you talking about Classic or Redesigned versions? If Redesigned, I'd be surprised at that assessment. It's one of the things we have been careful to fix. However, with Bible, the AQ's are consistently answered by Bible texts themeselves. For instance, in asking about the votive offerings that Solomon collected for the Temple, we ask specific questions that cause students to read carefully. We don't provide detailed answers because these are facts and are right in the reading. The thinking questions are always answered for teachers through a combination of discussion outline materials and background information. In Year 1, the history and Bible are so tightly alligned that you may find background for history topics in CH, and vice versa. The orange box at the start of the discussion outlines will tell you how involved the Bible survey is with history in a given week-plan. Obviously, all this helps if you own Redesigned. Let us know if this is the case, and also, how old your children are. All that I've outlined is for D/R levels.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Marcia, thank you for your quick reply. I do have the redesigned package. My children are in lower and upper grammar (equivalent 3rd, 5th and 6th grade).

I usually can find the discussion of the answers if they are included elsewhere in related text or topics. Sometimes I can dig through rhetoric or dialectic levels and find it. However, even this takes time digging through it all and sometimes I just don't have it. I know these are facts that I should know because I read everything they do, but I can assure you this is not the case. I simply don't have the time. It would be great if you could help us by giving brief discussions so our work as teachers in keeping up with the children is minimized. You have done such a great job of this in so many areas.

I also sometimes find this challenge exists is the case in the geography section as well. The questions sometimes don't tie in to the maps provided on the Map aids and so I spend time trying to find reference maps and the answers for the kids. I use the Holman Bible Atlas and several other recommended sources and still find it challenging. I just wish sometimes the program was a little more "teacher" user-friendly - especially for those of us who are new to homeschooling and think that the kids need to answer all of these questions and do the maps.

Perhaps I am requiring them to do too much. It's a challenge to get through a week of the material in a week. It's a fast and rigorous pace (given their other subjects as well). But I love it since I know that they are learning so much (and so am I).

I am very thankful for all of your hard work, time and efforts to put all of this together. You and your husband are amazing and are an inspiration.

President, Lampstand Press
    Katherine,

I really do appreciate both your position and your feedback. Thanks for the compliments. I'm really sorry that our presentation isn't more clear to you.

What would serve us best in making the product better for those who follow you is specific examples, which you probably don't have time to provide.

The Bible questions for lower grades do not have accompanying answer keys, since (at least in our eyes) the questions are straightforwardly based on either the Bible or the extra readings. Since *we* understand what we've presented, and worked really hard to make it as clear as we can, I don't know just what to say, except, again, for the sake of future printings you might send to Dana, using the suggestions button at the top of this forum, a quick note telling us where exactly you have felt unclear. Though it won't help you much, it will help others in the future, perhaps.

As for Geography, our MapAids is meant to give all the answers to the map-based questions we ask, which is a majority of the work. Again, usually we think that anything not directly answered in the Teacher's Notes is self explanatory given the printed resources, but again, we are open to being shown specific spots where we could improve.

By the way, after Year 1 there are no discussion questions for Grammar students, so this problem is only resident in Year 1.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon