Thread: Streams of Civilization/Western Civ

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on either of these alternate resources. I don't want to spend more money on books that won't be used, but if they help keep us on track, I'm all for it.
    Any comments welcome =)

Smiles,
    Teresa

Hi Teresa,

My kids have always appreciated using the textbook/spines. It helps them tie the loose ends together and see the big picture from week to week. Also, if we have something unexpected come up that wreaks havoc on our schedule it becomes our default minimal reading for that week.

I have both the books you mentioned. If I were to only pick one it would be the Streams of Civilization, because it could be used by both D and R students. I also like the Christian perspective it has. And it's cheaper

Sharon
    Sharon
    Wife of David, Mom of Nathan (24), Mandie (23), Meg (16), Zeke (14), and Ike (12)

You probably already made your choice, but I have both books and use Spielvogel's far more. I feel it is better written, with more detail and less judgment about the things being presented. Fabulous illustrations, maps and photographs. I got mine from Amazon for less than a dollar. You do not need the exact edition; there is very little difference from one edition to the next, although you will need to note the topic as page numbers won't be exactly the same.

Teresa, alternates are alternates. You don't have to get anything on the right hand page. They are there if you want something different.

I'm not particularly keen on text books so we stick with the left hand page primary suggestions.