Thread: question about literary analysis paper wks 14-17

I see the literary analysis paper mentioned in the glance ahead for wk 14. And I see that it's mentioned in the Loom document about grading literature. But am I correct that it's in neither the SAP's nor writing assignment charts, and that I'll have to assign it separately if I want my students to do it? (I have Writing Aids, so it's no problem, I'm just looking for the assignment). Should I then replace it for their regular writing assignments for those weeks?
    Thanks,
    Bonnie in IN

I understood this as optional and would be additional. We chose not to do it. HTH!!
    Wife and mom of my joy on earth..Dan, my husband, and our daughters..Hannah, Abbey and Emma

We found that week (actually alot of weeks so far) to be alot of work and as Shannon said, we opted out also.

Thanks, Shannon and "Mom." Yes, I understand that it's optional, but it could be a major part of the grade for literature according to the "grading high school literature" document on the loom. I haven't yet decided whether to assign this for my freshman and junior, but I HAVE decided that I won't have them attempt it during weeks 14-17. I think it would be best for them to wait 'til they've finished the Odyssey before deciding on a thesis for a lit analysis paper about it. I still wonder if it's reasonable to replace other writing assignments with this one for the weeks they spend on it IF we do it?
    Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
    It is totally reasonable to replace other writing assignments with the lit analysis paper. Lit analysis can be a whopper! Two years ago, my freshman did a lit paper on the shepherd character in the Odyssey. It turned out quite good, I thought, especially for an inexperienced freshman!
    I would suggest that you pick a book for which your student is doing a character chart as a starting place for a lit paper. Or, you could tell them in advance to be watching for artistry or imagery or whatever, and take good notes as the basis of a paper.
    Happy analyzing and Merry Christmas!
    Blessings,
    April

Thank you, April.
    Merry Christmas.
    Bonnie in IN