Thread: Other unit celebrations.

I just don't see any ideas for celebrations other than a medieval feast. Does anyone do them? I would love some more ideas.

Here is my very general plan for Year 2 Celebrations.

Unit 1 - Medieval (not a royal affair, more of a peasant feast)

Unit 2 - Renaissance Christmas (a feast worthy of a king)

Unit 3 - Native American

Unit 4 - Colonial (what would they eat now that they are settled, sort of, in the new world)

I wanted to make each unique and special. I welcome any ideas, links, book suggestions, etc to help us in planning this all out. I am very excited.

Blessings!

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi there,
    Don't forget field trips! We have field trip links on the Tapestry of Grace website that might give you some ideas.

Another things we did was family nights. The kids just basically showed their projects for the unit, did oral presentations (read one of their writing projects for the unit) and we watched a movie (such as Robin Hood for Unit 1) and ate with grandparents.

Have fun with the Unit Celebrations!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

We just finished our Year 2 Unit 2 celebration. For the evening (hour) of festivities we had:
    1. Shakespearean excerpts performed in costumes (mostly sheets and various headbands plus masks)
    2. Presentation of a display board on Martin Luther
    3. Presentation of a salt-dough map of S. America and a poster the girls created of various animals in S. and Central America
    4. Some treats including ginger cookies (from the week about spices), bread pudding, and another typical Renaissance bread dish.

We invited dad and older brother plus grandma. It was low key and all their gig, but everyone enjoyed it. It was a great way to review the unit for my 3rd grader.