Thread: Apologia Chemistry vs Bob Jones Chem w/ DIVE CD

Does anyone have any insight on comparing the two?

I like the idea of having lectures on CD with the Bob Jones. My students are not strong in math, but my son does have a love for science. He'll be in 10 grade next year, finishing biology (we combined A Beka and Apologia) and algebra 1 this year.

My concern is that the apologia texts are so advanced, my thinking is I want a high school level course, not honors. I've read reviews on the Apologia Chemistry, I remember some saying they were bored in their college Chem because they had already learned much of what was being taught.

Thanks for any input you can give!

I have the Apologia Chemistry book and intend on using it this fall for my girls. I wonder if the review you read about the students being bored in college chemistry was referring to students who have taken the Apologia Advance Chemistry course?

As I look at the table of contents for "Exploring Creation with Chemistry", I do not think the subjects are so advanced that my children will be "over-prepared" for college. There is no organic chemistry in this book, and compared to a college course, it moves more slowly. My degree was in nursing so I was required to take college chemistry. I remember being blown away by the pace. I came from a very academically competitive high school, but could never say that any of my college science courses were "a breeze". In college, we usually covered familiar material in about two weeks and then moved on.

You probably want to base your science decision on your son's goals. If he goes to college, will he be taking science courses? My oldest wants to major in English and my next two are definitely science/math oriented. These differences in my children cause me to make different choices for their high school education. Hence, my senior and sophmore will be taking "Exploring Creation with Chemistry" during the same school year. My sophmore will then have the opportunity to take Physics and Advanced Biology before she goes on the major in science in college. My senior cannot wait to leave science behind and dig into her beloved literature books.

Hope this helps,
    Leanna

Colette, I'm also considering BJUP Chemistry vs Apologia Chemistry for my son. He took Biology in 10th grade (rather then in 9th) so that he would be more ready for chemistry in 11th.

I like the DVD class BJUP offers for Chemistry, on the other hand I love "The Potter School" (Chemistry class online - 1x week) for my Apologia Chemistry.

The Potter School is difficult to get in (classes fill up REALLY quick) but you have a live teacher for your child to share their concerns with rather than just the BJUP DVD. Although, I'm not sure how far the Potter School Class will go to helping with tuturing in math in Chemistry, you'll have to call The Potter School and ask them what they actually cover. That is my question I need to ask them myself. But there is a class your child can take with them.

The plus with BJUP is that you can schedule as you like (within one yr). You decide if you like to take your break for one week whenever you like or if you want to spend an extra week studying a particular unit, etc.
    With The Potter School (Apologia Chemistry class) you follow their schedule.

One thing to compare at a homeschool convention, are the tests. Are they similar in level? I am not going to comment because I haven't checked out BJUP completely to answer that. The tests with The Potter School (which they take over the internet) are demanding and timed tests. But it's good practice for the real college experience. It may not be completely college level, but it would be good study skill practice for a child going to college.

If you haven't seen the Potter School classes I'll include this web page:
    www.pottersschool.com
    Classes are given to Military families first and then they are offered to other homeschoolers. They usually start offering in April. (But not yet)

HTH some,
    Vanessa

Thanks Vanessa.
    I've known about the Potter School, I won't do that simply because $490 ($60 registration and $430 for class)or more is out of the question for one high school course.
    We could do Chemistry at our community college for less and get double credits. He is not ready for that environment.
    Looking at the tests and comparing is a good idea, our local home school conference isn't until June though.

I know, Potter School is pretty high in cost. Although, from what I remember BJUP chemistry on DVD is pretty pricey too. DVD, books, and lab equipment come to about the same price I think. I'll have to look at that. The only difference is that Potter School offers a teacher to communicate with, which BJUP doesn't.

We've thought about community college for the reason you mentioned, but I think that is a little more advanced than Potter School.

Good luck
    Vanessa

Not to muddy the waters but BJUP offers satallite courses for HS, of which we have taken many and they offer online help anytime with the teacher as it is live. The prerecorded dvds of course don't allow that feature.
    Wenda

We use Homesat with BJUP. To but the satellite is roughly $350 if you don't get it on sale. Then the monthly fee is around $40. However, you get to tape/record on VCR/DVR or Computer any class you want - K4 - high school. You purchase the textbooks you want to use and "register" for a particular class $10 to $20 so you can communicate via e-mail any questions you have with the teacher. This is our 2nd year. We currently use it for the ds for Math, Science, Literature and Grammar. We use Tapestry for history because we love it. It has been a blessing to our family as much as Tapestry has. My son is an auditory learner and I just cannot lecture in every class. This meets his needs in a way I can't. However, it is not for every family or child.

Apologia offers complete courses in CD-Rom format that is cost-effective (under $80). The more traditional textbook has extensive online support, a CD-Rom (extra visual, pronunciation, etc.- this is an inexpensive but excellent optional supplement ($15), not the Complete Course).
    For the auditory learner, on-the-go teen, or student benefitting from reading aloud, there is a MP3 audio download of the entire text($10).

I do not have experience with Bob Jones, but I do find Apologia materials to be written in an accessible, user-friendly format and intuitively organized. In short, it is meaty in content, paced managebly, thoroughly explained and offers free online support (questions, additional links to online resources like movie clips of planarians, dissections, and each module's topics).

/Kristen