Thread: Apologia Gen. Science for 8th? Or skip?

Hi,

I'm wondering those of you who have used Apologia General Science, if you think it would be okay to skip it and just start my 8th grader on Physical Science, or if you think it's needed, if there's a way to condense it or skip some of the labs so we can get on the 'right' Apologia schedule into his high school years. We're not sure yet if he'll be on a science track yet or not.

Any ideas or input are greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
    Veronica

We're skipping it in 8th and going to Physical Science. There's nothing in General you need to cover before you do Physical as far as I can tell. In NJ most students do Biology in 9th now, not 10th so that's what we'll do.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim ~ Ovid
    For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison ~ Paul
    http://rivendellpress.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by KarenCiavo:
    We're skipping it in 8th and going to Physical Science. There's nothing in General you need to cover before you do Physical as far as I can tell. In NJ most students do Biology in 9th now, not 10th so that's what we'll do.
    I have to agree. I'm thinking of skipping General. My older students didn't enjoy General, but did enjoy Physical Science.
    Blessings to you and your family.
    Diane--Wife of Shannon--Mom of Josh (R), Kyra (R), Hunter (D), Ian (D), Logan (UG), Mathias (LG), Emma (LG), Sawyer (K), Forest, Autumn and baby due 3/22/10.

I wouldn't agree that most of the info is repeated, but I do think you could skip general and go to physical if you are wanting to do biology next year.

Michelle

I, too, disagree that most is repeated in Phys. General is a taste of all branched of Science. We just completed it with my 7th grader and he enjoyed it. He is excited to start his high school science this fall. I, do agree, however, that you can skip Gen Science. I hope you have a great year!

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I spoke with ds and he would like to cover the topics explored in General though, and my ds 8 would enjoy following along with the LG version of the topics, so I guess now my concern is, would it be detrminental to go ahead and do it?

Most higher ed institutions require three science credits, with two of those being labs, so if he did General in 8th, physical in 9th, biology in 10th, chemistry in 11th, and physics in 12th, would he not be covered? What am I not seeing that I should be?

Thanks,
    Veronica

Veronica,

Once my boys got through that first module in General Science, they really began to enjoy themselves. Overall, they liked the topics in General Science better than Physical Science.

Your plan is fine. Many states offer physical science courses for high school credit. I will mention that Apologia's physical science is a bit broader in scope than most other physical science courses. In addition to introductory chemistry & physics topics, Apologia also addresses earth science. As a result, Apologia's coverage of chemistry & physics is not as deep as that of some other publishers. I don't think this will be a problem, though, if your son goes on to take chemistry & physics.

Blessings,
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2

Thanks so much for all your input. I think we'll go ahead and do General Science and go from there.

Blessings,
    Veronica