Thread: Combining Dialectic and Rhetoric

DS is finishing his freshman year of HS. This was our first year w/TOG. We are happy that we have improved with our learning and methods, but have a long way to go! DS reads at a higher level of comprehension than he can put back out on paper. We are working on ways to improve his writing and I would appreciate any suggestions for supplementing WA, but my main question here is do you think it would work to have him read at Rhetoric level and quiz at Dialectic? We need more on paper since we live in PA and have to produce portfolios. With older DS I have him write papers for everything, but younger DS learns very differently. I want him to be able to show what he knows without the frustration of writing essays at the end of every week.

I think what you suggest is possible. Or you could have him read part of the R level materials and part D level materials to make things easier for him to transition.

I'm preparing for our first level at R level and both history readings and literature are big. So a mix of the levels makes sense.

You can also use the trimming plans that TOG includes in most year plans to lower the amount of R level literature.

I would also consider using the R level questions if possible if you are using all R level materials, BUT not expecting as much as the instructor's guide provides.

Finally I have really found Susan Bauer's two audio recordings laying out a plan for writing in middle school and high school very helpful to improving our plan of attack on writing.

Whenever I use the R level quizzes, I use only the first page of short answer questions. I don't have my students write essays every week. (We don't take quizzes every week either.)

I would be very cautious about using R level assignments but D level quizzes. Make sure they match up material-wise before giving them. Sometimes D and R cover slightly different topics (e.g. in Year 4, D covers the colonization of Africa but R doesn't).

Michelle

Thanks ladies. I am going to listen to the Bauer recordings as I always enjoy receiving more input. We had taken a break from the routine over the past two months as both kids were enrolled in an intensive public speaking course and we had evaluations to do! Now it's back to a more normal routine and I am going to fool around with using R reading and see how far we get with R level questions after going through this big break. And I am going to be faced with what to do about the writing portion this fall since we only managed to complete two units of Y2. Ack! We will be starting with Unit 3 and I am just hoping and praying that DS can handle the second half of the year writing assignments in the fall.