Thread: Combining old and new Tapestry year 1

Combining old and new Tapestry year 1

Hi!

I haven't been here that much this year because after finishing our fabulous first round of all 4 years of Tapestry, we took a break this year. I'm doing Texas History with my 4th grader and my 9th and 11th grade boys are doing AP Government. ( I never used the TOG government... I couldn't fit it in.)

I just sent in all of my year 1 materials to get upgraded to DE. We won't be doing it until the 2012-2013 school year. At that time my girl will be 5th grade which is the exact age my middle one was when we did TOG. So she will use the upper grammar/dialectic mix that he did. I think she is about the same level as he was. My middle one will be 10th and doing the rhetoric program as written. I think my 12th grader will probably only do the TOG history and perhaps a light version as well. It looks like he will be taking AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP Economics and then at our cc Spanish III and IV as well as English and speech ( 2 classes each semester: Spanish III and English 1st and Spanish IV and Speech 2nd).

Now... it sounds like the Year 1 redo should be done by the time we start. It also sounds like a lot of the books have gone out of print from the print version that I have. So.. I'll be doing the new version of rhetoric with my 10th and 12th grader, which is great. I don't have any of the rhetoric books anyway. But I'll be doing the old version with my 5th grader since I own all the books. Is that going to cause a problem? Will the overall topics be the same.

And then for the discussion: when I did year 1 last time, I started with the 5th adn 7th grader together and then dismissed the 5th grader when we covered what he knew to have a more in depth discussion with my 7th grader. Well, now there is a huge difference between 5th and my high schoolers. Could I still start with all three and discuss some of the lighter, more general information and then let her go for my older two. However, this year because of the load that my oldest will be taking, I honestly don't know how much "work" for Tapestry I will expect from him. I know he will want to read it, though because he enjoys it.

Christine

So is there going to be a problem of having to use the old AND the new?

I think you'll need to wait and see on the discussion. I would think probably, but without the new materials I'm not sure. We are doing Year 1 again and since I now have both R and D I've spend more time looking at both level comparatively. Sometimes one or the other will say, refer to the other so there is definitely some cross material as it currently stands.

We are doing Year 1 in a very small coop this year. My oldest is the only one doing R level, but we do a D level discussion with him and some UG students. I've told him he is not to be the first to answer and to make sure he waits to let the students the discussion is for answer. This has worked well.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

President, Lampstand Press
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmom View Post
    Hi!

But I'll be doing the old version with my 5th grader since I own all the books. Is that going to cause a problem? Will the overall topics be the same.

And then for the discussion: when I did year 1 last time, I started with the 5th and 7th grader together and then dismissed the 5th grader when we covered what he knew to have a more in depth discussion with my 7th grader. Well, now there is a huge difference between 5th and my high schoolers. Could I still start with all three and discuss some of the lighter, more general information and then let her go for my older two. However, this year because of the load that my oldest will be taking, I honestly don't know how much "work" for Tapestry I will expect from him. I know he will want to read it, though because he enjoys it.

So is there going to be a problem of having to use the old AND the new?
    Hey, Christine

It sounds to me like you'll have the best of all worlds. You will still have Year 1 in print. For your D-level son, you can follow that print copy as written, just as you did years ago. But, for your information, all those pages are also available to you in DE format via the ARCHIVE feature Book Updates Chart [see http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/bookupdates/index1.php]! See, we not only post replacement books with associated TOG pages for NEW books that replace out-of-print books, but we archive the TOG pages that went with the old books. Thus, you can always go backward AND forward for free, once you purchase TOG.

As for the discussion question, I think you'll find your rhythm as you go. You can start as you did successfully in the past, with combination and dismissal, but you may find that the goals for D-level (connections and definitions) bore your R-level child; it may be best to have shorter, sequential discussions, each at their own level. When you think of even 2 hours (for each) in the scope of an entire week, the fraction is 2/168ths, or 1/84th of the week. For you, it's 4/168ths or 1/42 of the week. I only do this math to say that discussions--which are SO valuable--don't really take that much proportional time out of our weeks. They just SEEM to because we are so busy.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

I don't think I was clear: 5th and 7th was the last go around. This next year I will have 12th, 10th and 5th for these discussions. My boys will be 10th and 12th and my girl will be 5th ( using the books my 10th grader used when he did it in 5th grade.)

President, Lampstand Press
    OK, sorry. The answer is the same, though, for you younger girl. With the update, you'll have what you need to use the books that you now have from either your print copy or the archived digital versions of same. Our updates will change the reading list for the olders, but the topics are LARGELY the same (in terms of week titles) so matching old and new, level to level, won't be hard. It will take some attention to detail, but that's about all.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

thanks

Thanks Marcia,

You are the best. I can't wait to see the updates when I start planning in May. I sent off the upgrade cd's and form a few days ago, but I probably will resist the urge to look until I am really planning in May. I've enjoyed our little break, but am excited about returning. My middle son really misses TOG. He isn't enjoying using a textbook for Government. Thanks for all your hard work!!!