Thread: Tackling TOG with littles

Tackling TOG with littles

I've just purchased my TOG Yr 1 materials and am excited about starting in the fall. I will have a first grader who will be close to a second grade reading level (we school year round), a 4 year old, and an infant (I'm due in March, so in the fall the baby will be about 5-6 months old).

My main question is how to schedule my TOG time. Should I have my K4 student tag along with the reading, or would it be better to do the work while she is off playing or taking a nap?

Second question, which books would be on my older child's reading level? I've heard that UG books are simpler reading because they are intended for independent work where as LG can be harder reading because they are intended as read-alouds. I'm a little confused about which ones to purchase so that my son will be able to read a few titles on his own. (I am planning to continue his phonics/reading program in addition to TOG.)

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi!
    Welcome to the TOG family! You'll find lots of different approaches to the buffet that Tapestry offers and soon you will alight on what is best for you and your family!

Yes, I'd definitely have your younger student tag along as much as possible! (I posted the following paragraph on your FB post too!) When I had preschoolers, I kept toys about that could go along with our topic...for instance: Lincoln logs to build log cabins when we studied Westward Expansion; play dough to build pyramids when we studied Egypt; fabric swatches to play dress up with for a given time frame, etc. I also had coloring pages and colorful books handy so that older children could spend time with the younger ones, thus reinforcing learning for the older ones too! ...Hope this gives you some ideas! Whole family learning was quite helpful for us!

UG books aren't necessarily easier reading. I understand where that thought comes from, but I think the vocabulary, overall, is significantly different as well in LG/UG. I'd still personally suggest that you use the LG and then, looking at the books in hand, choose the ones you think your child CAN read independently. The approach I took with my children who were learning to read was to read independently PAGES of books rather than the whole book. By doing so, I was still sitting beside them and could easily determine weaknesses in phonics lessons and such.

Hope this helps! Hopefully some others will chime in with other ideas for you as well!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Quote Originally Posted by DanaCinTN View Post
    Yes, I'd definitely have your younger student tag along as much as possible! (I posted the following paragraph on your FB post too!) When I had preschoolers, I kept toys about that could go along with our topic...for instance: Lincoln logs to build log cabins when we studied Westward Expansion; play dough to build pyramids when we studied Egypt; fabric swatches to play dress up with for a given time frame, etc. I also had coloring pages and colorful books handy so that older children could spend time with the younger ones, thus reinforcing learning for the older ones too! ...Hope this gives you some ideas! Whole family learning was quite helpful for us!
    I just wanted to second what Dana said. I subscribe to the trickle-down method of education for the young ones...allow them to participate at their level as much as *they* want -- you'll be amazed what they pick up over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by DanaCinTN View Post
    UG books aren't necessarily easier reading. I understand where that thought comes from, but I think the vocabulary, overall, is significantly different as well in LG/UG. I'd still personally suggest that you use the LG and then, looking at the books in hand, choose the ones you think your child CAN read independently. The approach I took with my children who were learning to read was to read independently PAGES of books rather than the whole book.
    I've found that their is much variability in the books. I mostly have to look book-by-book to decide which books to can be independent and which must be read aloud. If I may make this suggestion: Read aloud the books as much as possible now! It is a precious time and I can almost guarantee that you will learn right along with your students. You'll be creating wonderful memories of learning together and have great conversations.

Enjoy!
    Alane

homeschooling 3 boys: 12, 9, and 6
    Veteran of year 1, 2 and on to year 3 with Dialectic & LG students

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~Galatians 6:9

President, Lampstand Press
    Quote Originally Posted by TGlo View Post
    I've just purchased my TOG Yr 1 materials and am excited about starting in the fall. I will have a first grader who will be close to a second grade reading level (we school year round), a 4 year old, and an infant (I'm due in March, so in the fall the baby will be about 5-6 months old).

My main question is how to schedule my TOG time. Should I have my K4 student tag along with the reading, or would it be better to do the work while she is off playing or taking a nap?

Second question, which books would be on my older child's reading level? I've heard that UG books are simpler reading because they are intended for independent work where as LG can be harder reading because they are intended as read-alouds. I'm a little confused about which ones to purchase so that my son will be able to read a few titles on his own. (I am planning to continue his phonics/reading program in addition to TOG.)
    Here are three resources for you, all from my blog:

http://tapestryofgrace.com/blog/2011...-with-tapestry

http://tapestryofgrace.com/blog/2011/08/ug-or-lg-books

http://tapestryofgrace.com/blog/2010...-little-people

Don't miss the comments on these posts, either!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon