Thread: Lv 8 Literary Analysis (again!)

Lv 8 Literary Analysis (again!)

I know this topic comes up frequently -- probably because the level 8 assignment in each year plan is the first lit analysis paper we encounter as we teach our oldest children. Having said that, we are coming up to this assignment and I have been trying to pull together a plan for teaching it to my oldest dd. We've been working hard on essays in general this year but it is not yet an easy task to come up with a good thesis plus several good topics to support it. I've been "helping" and modeling a great deal. She's making progress and I don't want to squelch her enthusiasm or confidence when we get to the lit paper. So, I'd like to give her several choices for which book to work with and several choices for topics to address. That way, I hope, she won't feel overwhelmed by having to make choices from everything she's ever read and all of the possible topics out there.

Does anyone who has walked this path already have suggestions for yr 4 D lit books to consider? And, consequently, ideas for lit analysis topics? I know I want her to make her choices out of what she feels interested in and what her opinions are ... but I do think a smaller, controlled list from which to choose for her first paper would be nice.

BTW, she's been reading all of the primary lit books for D -- the ones she will have read in the month or two just before she is scheduled to write her paper are: Homeless Bird, My Side of the Mountain, Onion John, and Lilies of the Field. Would any of these provide good opportunities for her for her paper? I have only read My Side of the Mountain so I'm not much help at this point.

Many thanks,
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Anyone ever do the level 8 lit analysis paper in year 4? ANY tips, suggestions, things that didn't work, comments, examples, or guidance would be very much appreciated!!!!
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Monica,
    I personally did not assign this to my kids in Level 8, so have no experience on a teacher/student level as to what works most easily or doesn't. However, I'd lean toward analyzing My Side of the Mountain or Lilies of the Field. If there are other books she enjoyed more, then those would likely work just as easily.

In her first attempt at an analysis, keep in mind that it won't likely be in the same detail as a Level 12 rhetoric students, so I encourage you to think of it as the first drop in the bucket of a learning experience. There is a sample Student Submission for Level 8 on Writing Aids though, if that would help. (If you've updated your DE, you'll see it there, otherwise, you can click here: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/company/writingaids/)

Hope this helps some!
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Yes, Dana, it does help! I remember reading My Side of the Mountain when I was in school (back in the dark ages) so at least I could help dd work through her ideas.

I like to assign a new skill like this in the spring to "dip a toe in the water." Then the following year when we work on that skill again, it isn't quite so daunting. I did that last year with an argumentative essay in the spring and now, this year, we have spent much of the year doing a lot of essays. At first, it seems to take 3+ weeks to complete an assignment -- then two -- and so on. Dd just finished a persuasive essay on (not) naming a child after Adolf Hitler and she was so pleased she nearly glowed!

Thanks!!!