Thread: Music reading assignment vs thread ?

Question Music reading assignment vs thread ?

I have noticed while prepping unit 4 that the weekly readings in "Gift of Music" do not match up with what is assigned as a thread. IE:Week 32 The reading assignment is ch 22, which is on Gustave Mahler, but the threads say to read about & listen to Anton Dvorak.

Is there a specific version for GOM I should try to find, or is this intentional?

FYI: In terms of planning, it would be nice to have the Artists & composers listed in the people section, or weekly overview page somewhere. I have all the materials to do picture study/listen to some of the music, but trying to see what is studied when is difficult without having to preread all the teacher pages. The info is usually already in TOG, it is just hard to see quickly for planning/preparation purposes. I prep a unit or two at a time.

Ok, I found out that the Gift of music has a very different table of contents and content if your edition is older. I have a 1987 edition, and the TOG plans must be using the new edition.

Here is a link to the new table of contents...
    http://www.exodusbooks.com/Samples/Crossway/2551TOC.pdf

Amazon and Bookshelf (I assume? no detail given on BKSHLF?)are all using the 1995 version
    My old version has chapters for:
    ALbeniz
    Granados
    Poulenc
    Prokofiev

These appear to be missing from the 1995 3rd edition.

However, the 3rd edition has :
    Rossini
    Strauss Family
    Saint-Saens
    Richard Strauss
    Gershwin
    Shostakovitch
    Shakespeare & composers
    and a section on carols

These are all missing from my older book. Maybe I should upgrade...
    At least i can tell who we should listen to now! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by lcelmer View Post
    FYI: In terms of planning, it would be nice to have the Artists & composers listed in the people section, or weekly overview page somewhere. I have all the materials to do picture study/listen to some of the music, but trying to see what is studied when is difficult without having to preread all the teacher pages. The info is usually already in TOG, it is just hard to see quickly for planning/preparation purposes. I prep a unit or two at a time.
    I agree. This information is always in the threads and in the previous week's glance into next week, but it would be much more convenient where Icelmer suggests.
    Peace,
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11