Thread: Wondering what levels to do next year....

Hybrid View

Wondering what levels to do next year....

I'm looking for a little guidance on what to do next year. This year is our first with TOG (year 3), having used Sonlight for our first two years, and I must admit I feel lost/overwhelmed.

Here is a little about my children:
    DS, 13 - (will be 14 in July). Strong & willing reader. Can't wait to start TOG 4, rhetoric next year. (9th grade for 2012-2013)
    DD, 12. - Average reader, but doesn't really enjoy it. Willing to do whatever I decide for next year. (7th grade for 2012-2013)
    DS, 9. - Below average reader (about 1 grade level behind). Would classify him as a reluctant reader. (4th grade for 2012-2013)

Surprise bundle on the way, due October 2012.

My oldest has said a number of times he wants to continue with TOG, rhetoric. He loves the reading. Unfortunately, we won't be able to continue with the co-op we have been doing because of the new baby (we do two co-ops and the other is a huge help with overall work load at home.) I know that I will have to step up my guidance/ discussion time with him next year.

My struggle comes with my other two children. Technically, they should both be moving up a level, but I wonder if I should keep my dd in UG (to make the reading a bit easier) and move my LG ds into the UG as well and combine their studies. Or, is there a way that I can teach history from UG level, but give different levels for literature?

I hope this all makes sense. My brain is mush lately.

Thank you.
    Julie
    Julie

Look carefully at the books and consider blending for them. Don't just go by level of the book, but also by interest.

For instance, I think for your older child the D level might be a better choice at least for the first two years of TOG as those books are likely to appeal more to an older child.

But I would spend some time and do a book by book comparison AND I would probably only buy one unit at a time until you got grounded.

I can tell you my 12 yo ds who is also a reluctant reader has been doing fine with the D level in Year One.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thank you for the advice, Pat. I think you are right about ordering 1 unit at a time and seeing how it goes. We will be doing Year 4 next year. My oldest is doing D level for year 3 and I see my daughter having a hard time keeping up with that level of reading, but I can always adjust it as we go.

Thanks again.
    Julie
    Julie

Julie, we did Year 4 last year and my oldest did D level with that. I think the good news for you is the reading maybe a bit lighter in Year 4 than in Year 3. So look at the individual resources carefully.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thanks so much Pat for that information! That is wonderful news to hear.
    Julie