Thread: Clarification for High School Credit Using Dialectic Level Literature in Full

Clarification for High School Credit Using Dialectic Level Literature in Full

Hi-I have been pouring over the forums and the loom to understand this issue as it pertains to our co-op. This is what I understand, and where I am wrong, please clarify or add to what I omit. Thanks. By the way, this option appears to not be recommended for any other grade than grade 9. I mean, using dialectic literature for a high school credit. Am I right? SO, here is the question. When using dialectic material in literature in an attempt to earn a solid high school credit, the student should complete the following:
    All reading,
    Writing aids for 32??? weeks-and this should be done at or within two levels of the student's actual grade level
    All map work
    All timeline work
    All sap pages
    Grammar
    Vocabulary

Is this correct? If so, what is meant by "grammar" and "vocabulary"?
    Last edited by SkippingRocks; 05-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    The first thing to be determined is if the high school students (whether 9th grade or above) are earning a credit of English or a credit of Literature. In TN, we are required to earn four credits of English; any credits of Literature are considered electives and are over and above the English. This determination will make a substantial difference in how the credit is parsed out.

If you are earning an English credit, it will consist of literature, grammar, vocabulary, and writing composition. In 9th grade, the literature, grammar and writing are pretty evenly divided, so doing dialectic literature at this stage makes for a good balance. As the student progresses through his school years, the foci become more toward literature and writing. Thus, the need to really move into rhetoric work. Again though, because it is part of an "English" credit, rather than a Literature credit, the student only needs to be assigned a portion of the literature. In these instances, you will want to look over the "cutting charts" found in the Literature Helps on the Loom.

The items you've listed include both history and literature, even though you've asked about literature. So, to clarify, map work, time line, and SAP Thinking and Accountability Questions are a part of history.

Grammar is English Grammar and you can see Bookshelf Central for our recommendations to fill that niche. Vocabulary is really part of preparation for future ACT or SAT tests. The student can mine words from his reading, or you can use a SAT/ACT prep program. Again, Bookshelf Central has an SAT prep book that you may find helpful.

Yes, the writing assignments should be done at the student's actual grade level; however, when first entering Tapestry, many students need to move down a level or two and build up their skills. In a co-op, it is easiest if all students in a class are doing the same genre of writing assignments.

Hope this helps some! Do feel free to post again with further questions if necessary!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Thank you for posting, Dana!

Yes, after all my reading, my mind starting mixing all this together. SO, yes Saps and T&A's are for history and that was not my question. Sorry about the confusion. I am asking about an English credit, not literature credit, since that is also what our students will be needing. So, with that
    Literature
    Grammar
    Composition
    Vocabulary

You mentioned the first three, literature, grammar and composition (mostly on grade level) to be "evenly divided". You also mentioned a "portion" of the literature-is this even if it is only dialectic literature being used??? Or since you mentioned the "trimming chart", which is only for rhetoric, are you meaning this to be for rhetoric literature?

Also, what grades do you consider this an acceptable plan for? From all my reading on the loom and the forum, it seems you only are suggesting this for 9th grade. Correct me if I misunderstood. Thank you again!

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi again,
    "Evenly divided"...referring to giving an equal (or nearly so) balance of assignments. So, the child may spend 20 minutes a day at each of the major disciplines (literature, grammar, composition) and 20 minutes once a week at vocabulary. If the student is doing dialectic literature and receiving high school credit for English, in my opinion, it is really imperative that he do all of the literature (as opposed to a "portion" for rhetoric) and as much of the Level 9 writing as possible. Yes, the trimming chart was in reference to rhetoric literature.

My personal opinion is that this is acceptable, barring disabilities, for a 9th grader. A 10th grader should really be transitioning into full-fledged rhetoric work, even if using the trimming chart. That said, every child and situation can vary. If needed, filling in blank weeks (if using the rhetoric trimming chart) with dialectic books is very workable.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

This is all SO helpful, and is really helping me to digest how TOG works for the upper two levels and how to apply them within a co-op setting, and at home for ourselves too. Thank you, Dana!