Thread: Latin options for high schooler with no previous experience

Question Latin options for high schooler with no previous experience

Hello ladies,

My DD (14) will be going into 9th grade in the upcoming year. We have been sitting on the Latin Road to Grammar programme for about three years. Due to a m/c, then a healthy pregnancy and baby and all that entails, we did not venture into it. We've decided to go for it now, as well as do another year of Spanish so she can get two credits for Spanish then do another language...yes, we're ambitious, but she wants to do this...

We've looked at Visual Latin and it looks like a lot of fun, much like her VideoText Algebra has been for her. I am very intimidated by the look of the LRTG (probably another reason it's been sitting on the shelf for so long). The practical side of me does not want to buy another program when we have one already, but I am scared by the thought of doing the LRTG alongside her and trying to manage the toddler, who is getting more and more demanding. Added to that, this is only the end of our first year of TOG and we are moving up to Rhetoric from Dialectic and participating in a co-op for both Literature and History (so I will have to teach other kids as well!!) and she will be doing a semester long online science class...

Whew! Talk about a baptism by fire!!

So the question is, are there better options for us than what we have, or should we do the LRTG since we have it (and I bought it because it was recommended by Sonlight, which we had used for many years before coming to TOG and was given good reviews by most people who I saw reviews from)? Am open to any and all recommendations.

Thanks so much,
    Suzanne

The other route to take is to find an online course you could register for. I don't know if this would help or not.

I feel kind of the same way, my guy did do Children's Latin but finished it two years ago. We tried Spanish and didn't get a lot of traction. So this year for 10th we're doing Year 2, with no cuts if I can help it , Chemistry, Pre-Calc, and Whelock's Latin used in an online class.

I think if you can't find anything online that looks like you would be benefited from it, just go forward. If it doesn't work, you can change next year if you must.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

President, Lampstand Press
    The question I want to ask is, "Are you willing to learn Latin alongside your DD?" If you are, my strong suggestion would be to use the relatively free summer months to go ahead and give LRTEG a try together. Many programs look intense (such a one is TOG!) until you actually get into them. Then, you find that eating one bite at a time, and intimidating-looking program is actually meaty and therefor energizing. If you're NOT going to do it with DD, then it seems that programs with more built-in hand holding might be better.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Hi Marcia,

I am not sure about doing Latin with her; I guess that may sound bad to say, but there is so much that we do on the road that when we are home there are some things I would like her to do independently so I could spend a little time with the little one. I can try to do get into the LRTEG in the summer to see how it is for both of us, but the summer is busy for us and she has such a heavy load already (during the school year) that we are both looking forward to a much-needed rest. In addition, we are jumping into the R level for TOG and I am anxious about that. :-(

President, Lampstand Press
    Please don't apologize or feel criticized... and I hope that you'll start slow with TOG and customize it for your family's needs as well. Remember, it's a buffet, and you simply can't "eat" it all! Pick and choose, and start with fewer subjects from TOG than you hope to get into as the year progresses. We plan a full load each week so that you can pick and choose which weeks you'll do more fully and which assignments you let go. Trust yourself! Only you know what the Holy Spirit is leading you, and your child, to do in a given week! As to my questions/advice above, I was just trying to get a feel for your unique family rhythms. Given your answer, I would suggest a lighter Latin treatment than LRTEG, unless your daughter is up for the challenge of the program. Then again, you may feel led to do something besides Latin is in order, such as a modern Romance language, such as Spanish. Again, it's really up to you, so pray, ask your husband for his direction, and then rest in your choices!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Hi Marcia,

Thank you. :-) I admit that I do feel bad in not wanting to do everything with her. I am also a box checker, so it is hard to pare down things. I will check with my co-op to see how to pare things down while maintaining things with them. It's our second year coming up, but our first with a co-op.

I really want her to do Latin, particularly for the vocabulary help it will give her, and she really wants to do the program as well. As for another language, she has done one year of Rosetta Stone Spanish, and wanted to switch, but I have been encouraging her to do another year so she will at least have two high school credits of the one language and then she can switch to another (since the most rigorous requirements we've seen to date for college ask for two years each of two languages or three to four years of one). She really wants to do French, but because of our geographic location, I really think Spanish would be easier to practice and also more practical, but I also weigh her desires as well...this is why I am thinking of having her do another year of Spanish then get the French too.

Aarrggghhhh! Decisions, decisions!!!

If you still want to do Latin, I would recommend Latin Alive from Classical Academic Press. They have DVD lessons and online games for review at http://headventureland.com/ I used it for my oldest after giving up on Henle Latin, and will be starting it again after I finish Latin For Children, from the same company, with my younger two. I love Latin as a tool for teaching grammar and the basis it gives for studying other languages (plus the intellectual "coolness" factor) but if your main consideration is the vocab help, I would stick with Spanish and just try a classical roots program. You might also look to see if your local library has foreign language programs online. Ours does and it's completely free! You could also consider not worrying about language right now and looking into online community college "dual credit", which would compress a year's credit into 1 semester, enabling her to get all those credits in, but in less time, and doing it online eliminates a lot of the worrisome parts of sending your child to community college. Pray for guidance and trust that God will give you and your child whatever you need to accomplish what he has for you!