Thread: Were the Somervilles affected ...

Were the Somervilles affected ...

... by the storms last week? I know their farm is in WV and my husband and I were concerned that they and Scott's parents were safe. We have dear friends across the Shenendoah Valley in VA who are still without power and lost a large chicken house/barn. We continue to pray for all affected.

Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

President, Lampstand Press
    Monica,

You are SO sweet! We were indeed without power for five days (Friday-Wednesday nights). However, in God's kindness, we had a generator which we had JUST 10 days before been reminded of by our dear friends who had been storing it for us for three years. To serve THEM, my SIL loaded it into my van at the last minute when I was returning from nursing my then 37-week pregnant, very sick daughter back to health. Anyways, I brought it home and then, the next week, we needed it. Scott thought it would NEVER turn over, but God was again kind, and it did! We used it to refrigerate and freeze our food, to power our well's pump, and to power (would you believe it?) or satellite Internet. From there, we read about progress on restoring power, communicated our status with loved ones, etc. My son and his wife and three grandkids, showed up the afternoon after the storm because they live in Arlington, VA (the city) and were without power. They figured that the farm HAD to be cooler. It was! We shut windows each morning, and each evening opened them to import cool airs. The house got down into the high 60s at night! Added to that our farm's spring-fed swimming ponds and, with the generator, we were AOK! My husband and son even built two tent platforms (planned for construction that week so we'd had the wood delivered the day before) with hand tools. So, thanks for asking: we are fine and happy, and all power is now restored!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Marcia,

We're so glad everyone is OK. I love the generator story -- God is creative in meeting our needs! And I'm sure Scott enjoyed tapping his "inner MacGyver" to keep everything running. (Hmm ... was there perhaps duct tape involved?)

Our friends near Harrisonburg were without power until early this week. Fortunately, they had a generator for their elderly mom's house. They are still coping with clean up from the very large chicken house they lost. Since the chickens they grew in that house provided a quarter of their income, they are scrambling to clean up, deal with insurance, and (hopefully) rebuild.

Many blessings to you and your extended family as you welcome the next grandchild as well!

Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks again! (Sorry about your friends; our next-door neighbor lost over 1,000 chicks in his poultry houses during the heat wave/power outage. OUCH!) Our grandson, Hector, was born safely and happily on Sunday; I'm here now caring for Charity and Hector. What a joy!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

--Charles Spurgeon

Congratulations on you grandson. What a wonderful blessing.
    Kylie (Homeschooling in Melbourne, Australia)
    TOG Year 3
    C (12, D)
    D (10, UG)
    J (4)
    K (2)

Thanks! It is so GREAT to be a Nana!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

--Charles Spurgeon