Thread: Did I make a mistake?

I am extrememly organized and ready to start!! I've got all of my binders and hanging files ready. All of my supplies are in order. My books are here. I've got the perfect assingment sheet set up...for efficiency and ease. I was very excited to start until I attempted reading the Teacher's Notes. I feel so overwhelmed and ill equipped. I kept reading...over and over and over...and nothing was sticking. I'm worried about not giving my dialectic student what she needs...I don't know how I'm going to discuss with her if I don't know all of the info. I love the concept of this curriculum!!! I love ALL it has to offer. The Teacher's Notes are a wonderful addition... It's the best thought out curriculum I've seen!!! But for some reason, I feel like I'm reading a foreign language. Has anyone else had the same problem? And if so, what did you do to help?
    3rd year homeschooling
    Y2...First year using TOG... Dialectic daughter (12), Upper Grammar daughter(9), lower grammar son(5)...and baby boy (born in Nov.) using Easy Grammar, Singapore/Saxon Math., Wordly Wise, Sing Spell Read & Write, Exploring Cr

Originally posted by Pat not Pattie:
    My biggest suggestion: take a deep breath and then re-evaluate after three weeks.

When you work with your Dialectic student, use the discussion outline. Do not expect that it will line up neatly with the questions she worked on with the Thinking and Accountability questions. Those prepared her to have this discussion; they are not the discussion .

The history notes you've already read and so you have the background for that discussion, too.

Listen to her answers, if she doesn't have everything the discussion shows, then you can read that portion to her or ask her questions to draw that portion out of her depending on what you are hearing from her.

It seems alien, but a parent is already having these kinds of discussions with their children over all sorts of topics and once you are doing the discussion it will feel more natural.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Hi Pat...you are so kind to spend so much of your time helping me through this. I'm actually having issues with the information in the teachers notes ...the history summary...sticking. In other words, I keep reading and reading and, for some reason, nothing is sticking. So, I'm worried, that if I don't have that information readily available in my own mind, how will I be able to have the discussions with my daughter. I just realized, however, that I bet the PopQuiz cd will help with that...along with my reading. I think I'm just getting cold feet. :O)
    3rd year homeschooling
    Y2...First year using TOG... Dialectic daughter (12), Upper Grammar daughter(9), lower grammar son(5)...and baby boy (born in Nov.) using Easy Grammar, Singapore/Saxon Math., Wordly Wise, Sing Spell Read & Write, Exploring Cr

I just wanted to give you some encouragement in this! You can do it!

I usually read the teachers notes as close to the time of discussion as possible, because all that info just doesn't stick around with me forever, either. But that's ok, I'm not the student! I've got too many other plates to keep spinning to memorize all that stuff :-) However, a lot of what you'll need to know is in the discussion outline itself. And then you'll be surprised what you remember from reading the notes that will help fill in the gaps. Trust in the curriculum -- you were right when you said it was extremely well thought out and set up!

I agree with Jana. You'll find most if not all the answers in the discussion outline itself. I rarely refer back to the teacher's history notes. Plus you may cover some facts with your younger students during the week.

Do those first three weeks and see how it works, I suspect you'll surprise yourself.

Thank you so much, Pat and Jana, for the encouragement. My feet are warming back up. ;O) I will keep you posted, but in the mean time, will you please pray for me... Thank you.
    3rd year homeschooling

Here are a few thoughts I had ...

I read the D discussion guides FIRST and then I go back and read the teacher notes. For some reason, it helps me take in the information better when I have a sense of what I'm doing with it.

Also, when I read the teacher notes, I read with a pencil in hand. I underline a few key passages, I put exclamation points in the margins for sections I want to easily find again, I make mini notes in the margins, etc. When I had a print only version and all my pages were in page protectors, I just made notes on a piece of notebook paper as I read -- not exhaustive notes, but just enough to help me digest the info. I rarely referred back to those notes but the process of taking them helped me.

Most of all, don't sweat it. It will all fall into place as you make it yours. Remember that your children are not the only students here!

Blessings,
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

HI,
    I want to encourage you to press on with TOG.
    If you have the Redesigned discussion notes you can have a discussion even without reading the teachers notes. I learned this when my son had cancer and chemo which involved lots of our time from Nov - April. Some weeks I never read the teachers notes but we could still have a good discussion time with me just asking the questions. If something came up that he was wondering about I just said I would check into it and get back to him.
    A favorite saying around our house is "you get good at what your practice". So new things usually seem strange at first but with practice they become easier.
    Gal. 6:9
    Lori

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
    3rd year homeschooling

I too have had the same sensation of reading and rereading and nothing "sticking". I have been looking at the material and ordering books online and through our library all summer, and watching as many webinars as I a can squeeze in. I think I have a hypothesis as to why I (and maybe you too) are having an issue in this specific area. Here goes: (drumroll) I don't know what they are talking about. I admit it- I graduated from a public high school having taken honors classes, and we NEVER covered this. I went to a private liberal arts school that I am still paying for, and I did not get this there. I am also doing Y2 with four kiddos from Dialectic down, with a toddler and baby in tow. Learning as you go seems, well, somehow wrong. The teacher is supposed to know all of this already! How else can you impart knowledge if you don't have it to give? In the eight years we have homeschooled, I have discovered that for us, it is a process. In other words, my initial expectation that I would need to know THINGS in order to teach them has fallen by the wayside. What I am really trying to teach them is HOW to learn. Seeing you research for the answer or learning alongside them is not a bad thing. Someone may have already said this in a reply to you, I just skimmed them, so I am sorry if this is repeat. But seriously, I have no skeleton or frame on which to hang the information that I am trying to digest. I feel just as lost as you do. Am I reading french here? WHO was Oadacer and why in the world did Rome keep expanding when it was OBVIOUS that they could not support such an empire on such a stretched budget? Why all of a sudden were the barbarians on the move anyway? Who (or what) pushed the initial domino that got everyone moving?
    We spent two years in Ancients before I finally said "enough!" and took the plunge into TOG for our "full time" curriculum. I had previously been trying to piece the best of other programs together into a contiguous whole, and weave bible into that. HA!
    This will be our first year to implement the full curriculum.
    To answer the practical problem of discussion, what I am planning on doing is discussing it in a way that puts me as a student as well, just rather like the moderator of the discussion as well as a participant. Of course I will use the TQ and AQ, just more like a fellow comrade in arms than as a learned professor who is there to impart some valuable knowledge. I suppose that this means I will have to do some of the reading assignments my kiddos are doing. I have been doing some of that this summer, mostly the lower grammar books.
    I have one dialectic, one upper grammar and two lower grammar. It complicates things that my 10yodd is dyslexic, and her 8yo sis reads better than she does. I will be doing a LOT of reading aloud, so I am hoping to catch the gist of things from the Grammar level, and with that small foundation be able to "beef it up" with the teachers notes that I will skim again the night before the discussion.
    Ok, so that is my super fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants answer, but it is the best I have in a year where my hubbie took a 60% paycut and I still haven't had the funds available to purchase needed books and curriculum (and yes we are relying HEAVILY on the library!). I have been moved to tears, sweated much, prayed hard, and yes been thoroughly disheartened.
    Am I making a mistake? This is our most costly year yet, in eight years homeschooling.
    But in the peace that is in my heart, I KNOW you can do it, just as I KNOW that God can provide for my book budget needs.
    Our God is able, but even if He chooses not to help, I will not bow down.
    Sheila in OK
    Mom to seven blessings
    Finishing our third year with TOG