Thread: Rhetoric Literary Terms

Rhetoric Literary Terms

I've never taught year 2 literature before. Have any of you already made flashcards for all the literary terms, to help save these busy students some time?

Please advise.
    Gratefully,
    Sue

I have not. In year 1, my daughter had no trouble making the cards a few at a time, and I felt sure that writing them out herself was better than just reading them. I encouraged her to use her own words when appropriate.

I advise against you making the cards because the very act of making a flash card is part of the learning process. Back when I studied foreign language I found that I learned some terms just by making the cards. Don't deprive your students of this valuable activity.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

We use Quizlet for all the flashcards. Either my rhetoric student enters them in or I do. She studies the cards during the week (using games and learning quizzes) and then there is a nice feature for testing. I usually merge the weeks each week so she reviews all the terms each week. (My daughter's schedule is full so sometimes it is better for me to enter the terms. I found that when she actually wrote the terms out herself on index cards she was doing a lot of shorthand which wasn't helpful.)
    Last edited by Mary J; 11-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.