Thread: Idiot's Guide

My husband and I were looking over Y4U1 and are wondering why the Idiot's Guide is used as the core if there appear to be so many issues w/ it. It seems that there are many, many warnings in the Glances. Just wondering what the criteria was for choosing such a resource.
    Becky in OH

I'm guessing here, but I would assume that almost anything covering any part of the 20th century is going to have a lot of material that is inappropriate or needs to be discussed in terms of accuracy. I have seen that even in materials for as low as 3rd and 4th grade.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    Yes, Pat is correct. Year 4 books, generally speaking, require many more warnings simply because it seems that sin is so easily accepted in mainstream society. Therefore, I highly urge teaching parents to read the Glances each week, even if you are unaccustomed to doing so in other Year-Plans.

That said, we have really prayed over book selections. We want to provide the best book on a given topic that we can, while preserving the kids' minds, and simultaneously providing accuracy. It's not been easy, and many *good* books are out of print.

Hope this helps!
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Originally posted by DanaCinTN:

That said, we have really prayed over book selections. We want to provide the best book on a given topic that we can, while preserving the kids' minds, and simultaneously providing accuracy. It's not been easy, and many *good* books are out of print.
    This is always good hear!
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thanks for the input. Part of the issue for me is that I have a young Dialectic. Perhaps we'll bridge bet. UG and D this yr. I do so appreciate the Glances; yet another time saver for us moms!
    Becky in OH