Thread: When to move to Dialectic?

Question When to move to Dialectic?

How do I know when my kid is ready to move on to the Dialectic stage in Tapestry? He has done 3 years at UG, and is a highly gifted student... In most of his school he is in 6-8th grades (he's only 9ys though)... Are there things I should look for to know he is ready to handle Dialectic? What things do I need to consider?

How do you make the switch?

He has already read almost all of the literature books in the UG and D levels, but he hasn't done the history in D... I also haven't had him to the Literature questions etc in D....

Thoughts? Tips? Thanks.

Mrs. Meg Logan

Showing outward signs of puberty and arguing about everything are the two signs I've found indicative of brain-readiness to work at the dialectic level. Notice that I didn't mention reading level. They can be more than capable of reading more advanced material but still not be ready to process it at the higher level. I would give him plenty of reading material at his reading level (whatever that is) as long as the topics are age-appropriate. Add in plenty of hands on projects if he likes that sort of thing. That allows him to apply what he's read in a concrete way. His brain will be ready to take all those facts and connect them to one and another when he's approaching puberty. The precurser I've noticed is that everything becomes a "discussion" when they approach this level. By that, I mean they start arguing about everything -- not out of disobedience, but out of trying to make sense of the world. This is quite different than the constant stream of questions that seem to mark the grammar stage.

Hope this helps!
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Mom View Post
    Showing outward signs of puberty and arguing about everything are the two signs I've found indicative of brain-readiness to work at the dialectic level. Notice that I didn't mention reading level. They can be more than capable of reading more advanced material but still not be ready to process it at the higher level. ... His brain will be ready to take all those facts and connect them to one and another when he's approaching puberty. The precurser I've noticed is that everything becomes a "discussion" when they approach this level. By that, I mean they start arguing about everything -- not out of disobedience, but out of trying to make sense of the world. This is quite different than the constant stream of questions that seem to mark the grammar stage.

Hope this helps!
    Monica
    Monica,

While he is only 9, he does have higher reasoning skills. He is completely capable of the abstract thought required in Algebra, and he reads A.W. Tozer and tells me how it applies to his life. He researches the Bible to find answers, and "reasons" with me regularly. So, while his body hasn't hit puberty in much of any way (other thank STINKING!), I think he might be ready. Do you have any tips on making the transition?? Can I make the transition mid-year? Should I start with just one subject first?

thanks so much

I'd be more practical and go ahead and finish the fourth year of UG with him. Then move to D level work.

Besides critical thinking as he advances in history and lit there is a maturity in terms of subject matter that you'll want him to have.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

When you do transition, do it gradually. Our transitions vary by child. When my oldest went from UG to D at age 10, she started doing D readings first, then she started doing accountability orally, then taking notes for accountability questions, then lighter weekly discussions, then added thinking questions, etc. We took it very gently and the whole transition took most of a year. She just transitioned from D to R this summer practically overnight. My 9 yo son could easily read the D material but I have him working at the UG level for the reason Pat mentions. He loves to eavesdrop during my discussions with his older sister and provide the "answers" before she does. But I am adding depth for him by giving him opportunity to work with the material in as many ways as possible -- reading, hands on, playacting, writing, etc. We are really focusing on writing with him so he can get all those great facts he's reading sorted out on paper. My youngest daughter wants to do everything her older brother does. She just does it all at her own level.

And yes, you can transition mid-year, mid-unit, mid-week -- it's the benefit of Tapestry's flexibility. But just remember that even gifted 9 year olds are still only 9. I would add as many layers of depth as I could muster to challenge him in the UG level for now. Just my opinion.

Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Mom View Post
    When you do transition, do it gradually. Our transitions vary by child. When my oldest went from UG to D at age 10, she started doing D readings first, then she started doing accountability orally, then taking notes for accountability questions, then lighter weekly discussions, then added thinking questions, etc. We took it very gently and the whole transition took most of a year. But I am adding depth for him by giving him opportunity to work with the material in as many ways as possible -- reading, hands on, playacting, writing, etc. We are really focusing on writing with him so he can get all those great facts he's reading sorted out on paper. My youngest daughter wants to do everything her older brother does. She just does it all at her own level.

And yes, you can transition mid-year, mid-unit, mid-week -- it's the benefit of Tapestry's flexibility. But just remember that even gifted 9 year olds are still only 9. I would add as many layers of depth as I could muster to challenge him in the UG level for now. Just my opinion.

Monica

Ok, this is very helpful to me. He has done some of the D level readings for a year now, primarily because he DEVOURS the reading from the UG and LG and I assigned more optional readings which this year turned out to be in the D Lit... *at least he isn't missing out on the Lit.*... I think I will take your approach with your older daughter's experience... and spend the second half of this year transitioning him...
    Thanks so much!

the linear approach to transitioning your daughter will work really well for my son. Thanks again.