Thread: Help, please: y2 3rd printing Canterbury Tales R assignment confusion

Help, please: y2 3rd printing Canterbury Tales R assignment confusion

Hi,

I'm making up assignments for our co-op and am a little confused on what to assign for reading in wk 7 and how to get the page/line references smoothed out.

The "Glance" at the end of wk 6 for wk 7 gives some warnings about lines in the General Prologue, but the assigned pages on the reading assignment page for wk 7 do not include the General Prologue.

The suggested recitation for this week and SAP question #2 also come from the General Prologue, which is not assigned.

The wk 6 glance for wk 7 also lists specific line numbers in the Wife of Bath's Tale to look at, but the recommended resource starts numbering the Wife of Bath's Tale at line 863. Since the Wife of Bath's Prologue, which does start numbering lines at 1, isn't in the assigned pages, I'm confused about when to use the cited line numbers and when not to do so. The warnings given for the Pardoner's Tale Prologue and Tale have similar line number issues, and don't make sense.

So, are we to assign anything from the General Prologue? If so, what? Just the 1st 18 lines as suggested for recitation? But then how do the students answer SAP question #2?

Regarding the Wife of Bath's Tale, I understand that the prologue to that tale is specifically not assigned. If I renumber the lines starting with 1 instead of 863 for the tale itself, the line numbers in the SAP questions and the teacher's notes and the glance are not consistent. Some list page numbers in the 1000s while the recommended resource doesn't have than many pages. And the line numbers sometimes line up with the way the recommended resource numbers them and sometimes they don't.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to edit all these references when doing a major update like you have for this 3rd printing. If you could just help me figure out these issues, I'd appreciate it!

Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

One more question, the assigned page numbers in the recommended resource do include the prologue to the Pardoner's Tale as well as the tale iteself. But in the orange box at the beginning of the R discussion outline, it suggests we use the tales only without their prologues if we choose to use the modernized versions. Does this mean we should also not assign the prologue to the Pardoner's Tale when using the Middle English version found in Norton?
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the problem or not but reading what you have written I wonder if you are realizing that although Tapestry assigns the introduction to Chaucer from the Norton Anthology of English Literature, they assign the actual readings from the Norton Anthology of Western Literature?
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Nope, 3rd printing has ditched both of those Norton anthologies and are assigning this reading out of a Norton specific to the Middle Ages. They did trim the number of pages assigned this week because the replacement Norton actually uses the original Middle English instead of the more modernized English in the NAWL. My guess is that this is a minor edifying oversight and can hopefully be cleared up soon so I can finish my assignment chart for the year for the R lit class I am teaching in a coop.

Thanks for checking though, Pat. One never knows when I will make a goofy mistake!

Monica

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Mom View Post
    Nope, 3rd printing has ditched both of those Norton anthologies and are assigning this reading out of a Norton specific to the Middle Ages. They did trim the number of pages assigned this week because the replacement Norton actually uses the original Middle English instead of the more modernized English in the NAWL. My guess is that this is a minor edifying oversight and can hopefully be cleared up soon so I can finish my assignment chart for the year for the R lit class I am teaching in a coop.
    Ah, I learn something!

Thanks for checking though, Pat. One never knows when I will make a goofy mistake!

Monica
    Not really checking, just guessing.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Bump for any of the fine editors (or authors) at Lampstand Press ..... Pretty please?

Monica

Hi Monica!

First off, I'm so sorry for the confusion. :-/ We had some real trouble with Week 7 from an editorial perspective, because of moving from one Norton to another and assigning tales but not their prologues (which are NOT clean!), and so on and so forth. It was messy, and I'm afraid I messed up on some of the line numbers. The good news is that the staff caught the problems a few weeks ago and called me in to rework them, so I THINK you may be able to find the fixes on the Corrections Page. Could you check there and let me know if that helps?

As for the General Prologue, it is long and not-clean, so we have (you'll see this in the orange box in the TN's) a recommended link for your student to listen to the first eighteen lines and memorize them for Recitation if he wishes, but otherwise we don't assign it.

Does that help at all?

Christy

Yup, thanks! Megg had also sent me an email with the corrections, which I very much appreciated. I was able to put a clear assignment up on our Moodle page. Hooray!

Thanks again,
    Monica