Thread: Is it possible to condense Y2 to 32 weeks instead of 36?

Is it possible to condense Y2 to 32 weeks instead of 36?

Last year was our first year using TOG. I had one child in UG, Dialectic and Rhetoric. We loved the integration of all the subjects which seemed to really make all the information stick better. My only concern is that there are 36 weeks of planned assignments without any break for review. It was hard to learn new material the last week of each unit and prepare for a unit final. I read the tips for reviewing to start early, but that still seemed too much for us with all the other subjects and activities our family has. This schedule also didn't leave us any room for spontaneous outings, weeks where other subjects were more demanding or end of the year testing. I tried to combine a few weeks, but that was a ton of reading for my kids and they didn't seem to learn as much those weeks. Since each week builds on the previous one it is hard for me to know if I can just skip a week. Any suggestions on how to condense it to 32 weeks? That would give us a little extra time for review and unexpected things that happen in life.

Thank you for your help!

Susie

Hi Susie,

Thanks for your inquiry. It is definitely possible to condense Year 2 into 32 weeks instead of the full 36 weeks. The first helpful tip I can offer as you prepare to combine weeks is that even though you are condensing content, it can get overwhelming if you still try to assign the reading assignments from two weeks in a period of one week. There are other ways to cover information from a week-plan aside from assigning the reading. One option is that you could find an educational DVD or other outside resources for your students to watch/study. Another option is that you could lecture from the teacher's notes from that week and have your students take notes while you lecture. This can especially be a good practice for rhetoric students, as this is essentially how college classes are structured and it will help them become familiar with this learning style. Please note, however, if you choose to have discussions without assigning the reading, you will want to be cautious about this if your rhetoric student has certain requirements they need to meet for high school credits.

In determining which weeks you can combine, one approach would be considering if there are any topics with which your students are already familiar. For example, Colonial America and the Revolutionary War are topics that are typically familiar to most kids. It would be easier to condense a week if the material is already familiar to students. Units 3 and 4 contain week-plans that cover familiar historical events and could be easily condensed. Another approach would be to combine week-plans that cover similar topics. For example, Week 12: The Southern Renaissance & the Early Explorers and Week 13: The Southern Renaissance & the Age of Exploration are two weeks that cover the same idea but discuss different people. These are two weeks that could be very easily condensed into one. Week 1 can also be combined with Week 2 because it simply offers a review of the previous year-plan. It shouldn't be too overwhelming for your students if you combined a review with learning new material. And finally, an important thing to consider as you figure out which week-plans to either skip or combine with others, is that you ultimately get to decide which topics you believe are important to today's world and to the lives of your children as they mature.

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

Have a great day,
    Megg Jones
    Product Support Representative
    Lampstand Press, Ltd.
    megg@tapestryofgrace.com
    1-800-705-7487