Thread: Much Ado About Nothing edition

Much Ado About Nothing edition

I'm wondering how critical it is to have the Folger's edition of Much Ado About Nothing. Because we're leaving overseas (military), I'm planning to buy the play on our Kindle. However, the edition offered in the Kindle store is the Barron's. I think I saw the Folger's edition available on Nook, which I could buy and download to the computer since I don't own a Nook. Is that worth the extra hassle?

The other option is to check out the Bantam edition from the base library. Any thoughts? This will be our first time tackling Shakespeare, so I don't want to make it more difficult than it has to be.

Thanks,

Carla

I don't have my TOG manual for Year 2 in play right now, but the way to gauge difficulty with a play is how Tapestry references lines. If it is by Act, scene, and line then you are fine, but if it is by page number then you will be in big trouble. Occasionally the line numbers will vary slightly from one edition to another, but usually not by more than a line or two this is easily adjustable.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

The class plan for that play is done by acts and scene and line numbers, as I recall, so that's not a problem. My one concern is that this is your first time with it, Carla... we picked the Folger edition precisely because it gives so many good notes and explains so many older words. It has the play itself on one page of each two-page spread, with the other page in the same spread devoted just to explanations. So, that's my one concern for you. If the other edition you mention also has good notes, then I'd say go for it!

Christy Somerville
    Director for Rhetoric Literature Studies
    Lampstand Press

Thanks for your input! We went with the Barron's edition, which also has a modern "translation" side-by-side of the original. It doesn't work as well on the Kindle since you only see one page at a time, but we'll make do! I took a course on Shakespeare in college, so I'm hoping to dust some cobwebs off of what I learned then to help us through. (One of my favorite memories of that time is the TA (a drama grad student) having various students act out portions of King Lear on the seminar room table! LOVE Shakespeare!)

::grin:: Ah, good memories! I have many similar such from college. How good God has been to us!--He just keeps blessing our socks off with things to enjoy in this world!