Thread: High School geography

Question High School geography

High School is rapidly approaching, and when I blink I'm going to have 3 in high school, including a Senior. While geography has always been 'touched on' here, it's never been as in depth by December as I envision it during August.

To justify a geography credit, or even half credit for high school, is it best to "make it a focus" for one year and choose that year wisely, or "just do your best for 4 years" and call it a .5 credit for one particular year, even though it's spread out over all 4? I'm not especially keen on .25 credits.

The same question could be said for the Philosophy & Gov't credits throughout the 4 year cycle, also.
    Jenn D. Mom to 2 & 2
    ages 19, 18, 16, & 15

Speaking as a kid who grew up on TOG (and was never particularly a geography whiz), we did about one map each week throughout the four years, in harmony with history studies (so, if I was learning about Egypt, I did a map of it). To this day, I recall geography being MUCH more interesting and fun that way! I remember being fourteen and discovering for the first time that natural land features (such as the ocean on one side of Egypt and the desert on another side) can really help a nation to be protected, and may also isolate it from other cultures. I also remember being stunned when I realized that Israel really was SURROUNDED by tribes of idol-worshippers, and that there was an awful lot of good reason to worry that they would be sucked in---suddenly the Old Testament warnings made sense! I could go on and on… every year brought new discoveries (in Year 2 I was amazed by the ever-shifting political boundaries in Europe, and the range of climates experienced in the 13 original American colonies; Year 3 introduced me to the exotic and bizarre geographical elements of Africa, South America, and India; Year 4 showed me the modern names and "current state" of those same political boundaries that looked so different in Years 1, 2, and 3…). Just amazing! But as I recall it, I only spent about half an hour to an hour each week on my map. In my memory (but it's been awhile!), that worked out to a half-credit per year. Not being a geography nut (though I became much more of one in the process, because it was so interesting), I liked not having to do more than an hour per week at the most. Also, doing geography in the context of history made it SO MUCH more enjoyable and interesting (if I haven't said that enough times yet!!!). ;-)

We don't do the R level geography separately from the history itself so I can't comment on it. However we do do both Philosophy and Government. In those if you do what Tapestry schedules, readings, discussions, and written prep work, you easily have a year of credit.

Here's what I plan to do with my credits in this. First, in the case of government, most schools commonly give only a .5 credit, but they also only cover how the US system works. Tapestry goes beyond that. So I plan to title this class, History and Development of Government. I also will include the list of works read so the reader of my application gets the point that we didn't just study the form of US government.

For both, in the common app there are several different areas where you can write as counselor about both your student and your school. In one of those areas I will explain how our Tapestry subjects worked. To me how we studied these topics is an asset on the college application so it doesn't bother me that they are are spread out over four years.

However, in the basic transcript, I suspect I will do a subject organized transcript that will show these credits as one credit.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm