Thread: hardcopy girl in DE world...

hardcopy girl in DE world...

I somehow missed the memo that you can't print ANYTHING from DE. Since the cost of shipping the DE and printed version was so high, we bought a nice laser printer, thinking we were investing for many years to come of printing TOG lesson plans (and, of course, respecting copyright!).

Do any of you veteran TOG folks have advice on handling things digitally? I'm the kind of girl who likes to shuffle pages in my hands, highlight and make notes on things. Is this the case with all of TOG? I thought I'd read about people printing out everything and having it bound, etc., for their students. Is

Am I doomed to many frustrated years ahead or shelling out the cost of printing and shipping each year plan?

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Andi,
    Well, I'm not sure why you are thinking that you can't print anything from DE; you can! In fact, you can print anything from your DE year-plans. We do have a few non-printable digital products: Poetics, Love the Journey, and Primer Handbook. Other than that, you can print! Yay! Good news!

Blessings!
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Oh, that IS good news. I can't for the life of me, then, figure out how to print the Primer Guidebook. It doesn't seem printing is supported. I'm a newbie, however, so maybe it's something obvious I'm missing!

This isn't something I have to worry about with the regular TOG, though? Everything--even the TOG equivalent of the Primer Handbook--is printable?

Someday, I'll embrace the digital world more fully…

Thanks for your help!

No, in the Primer you cannot print anything. I'm having the same trouble and I talked to tech support today and they confirmed... no printing of the handbook or guidebook in the Primer. (and I just checked, it doesn't appear that Love the Journey is printable either.) I think the only thing you can print in the Primer is the activity guide.

I knew it said 'does not support printing' when I was looking at buying the DE Primer... and then when I was downloading it, I thought I had seen a screen that said I could print pages for my own use, but I cannot highlight anything to copy and paste into Word or use the printer button (it's marked out!). I was hoping I could print out some of the introduction to read at my leisure (I hate reading things online!) but nope.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but rest assured! You're in good company! I kind of wish I had gotten the paper copy now.

I believe the regular DE year plans are all printable.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    Sorry for the confusion! "Smarson" was right...Primer Guidebook is in that list of non-printable items. And right about regular TOG year-plans...those are what IS printable!

Blessings!
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I later remembered seeing that the Handbook wasn't printable but saw no mention of the Guidebook, so that surprised me. I feel the same way, about wishing I'd tacked on the paper copy. But then I remember that the shipping cost was prohibitive (at least for us).

OH! I will say, though, since it's the introduction you're wanting to read--that's available as part of the samples. And that WAS printable. So, at least in that case, you can have a copy to hold in your hand.

Yeah, the shipping was a bit of a shocker (and more than the Handbook Pack?!). There was some small print that said they'd ship for free using Media Mail but that wasn't an option online. I called and they said to just include instructions in the 'notes' to ship via Media Mail and they'd reimburse me for the shipping. Unfortunately I haven't seen any shipping reimbursement but I did receive the Handbook Pack via Media Mail just yesterday.

Oh, good to know on the sample pages!!! I hadn't even thought of printing the sample pages! That's brilliant!

I have a STRONG feeling I'm going to want to have the guidebook in print so I can read it at my leisure... I REALLY don't like reading from my laptop. But that's my own issue. I'm surprised though, that they chose to make it not printable. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is, especially since all the regular year-plans are printable. I would have expected them to follow the same pattern with the Primer.

Either way I'm excited to get started! My pre-Ker just asked to be in Kindergarten. I wasn't planning to start K officially until August 4 (not for any good reason, really)... Now I might just start either since we're both eager to get going.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi there,
    We do offer free media mail shipping on Love the Journey when purchased individually. When it is part of the set, it adds a bit of weight, but doesn't make a drastic difference on the cost of shipping. And, anytime you are willing to have something shipped via Media Mail instead of UPS, feel free to type this in the comments section: "I'd prefer Media Mail and am aware that it is not trackable or insurable. Please refund me the difference in shipping." We will gladly refund that for you!

Yay for excitement for your little one! Every summer my kids got bored and asked to start school before summer was over. We ended up taking about a 6 week summer break and getting right back into the swing of things until they got summer jobs and went to summer mission trips/church camps.

Regarding why we did not make most of the components for the DE for Primer printable: it's because we have such low prices on the printed portions that those who want both could still get both. Now, the good news is that if you buy the printed portions of Primer DE (except for the Handbook Pack), they can be resold! This is UNLIKE the printed portions of DE + Print that you buy for the year-plans. Of course, the idea is that you cycle back through the year-plans, and you probably won't cycle back through Primer.

I hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press