Thread: Is Primer overkill?

Is Primer overkill?

I have struggled for years with the planning process of TOG. Not so much the process itself but simply that I have had 5 students for which to plan. I had to take a break because of a cross country move and then spending this past school year learning the ins and outs of competitive debate (which I still don't full grasp). I want to come back to TOG but I am nervous about the planning again. I just took a look at the Primer and love how simple it is. I have 3 grammar students and a tag along 4 yod. I simply do not like planning for the grammar stage. That is probably more overwhelming the in the decision category than with dialectic and rhetoric (mostly because my older student help me plan their work & I have a secondary education background in history.) Would it be overkill for me to order the Primer to use with my younger students and then continue with regular TOG with my older children. I have 7 children, BTW. I have a love/hate relationship with TOG. I really, really want to love it more than hate it. Please help!!!

I know nothing about the Primer, but I do want to remind you of something that I know I've heard from Tapestry over the years. For younger students Tapestry is the gravy. If you do nothing with them but teach them to to read and do math, you will be okay. What Tapestry (and for that matter other programs like science at this age) is light a fire of interest. That should be your goal.

I do know a few things about debate if you want to private message me about that. I might be able to give you more direction. BUT be warned forensics can be all consuming in some families! As in all things that can be good, bad, and okay.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thank you, Pat. I needed the reminder. I miss the days with my older kids when we just got to enjoy reading & learning together. They work independently in most everything now. I'm coming out of a rough period as a mom and looking to rebuild. I think what I liked about the Primer is that it seemed like the gravy but done for me. Does that make sense? I'm really praying this through right now. My 9yod needs lots of mom right now & he's very hungry for knowledge. I suppose he's driving a lot for me right now. I'm asking The Lord to open my eyes where I might be blind and where that is causing the rut I've been in for a long time.

On the forensics note, yes, it can be all consuming. We allowed that last year through our move. I was so busy setting up our home and running to tournaments I never really got a chance to really understanding it. We were doing team policy. My 13yod is actually really good at it. I'm allowing him to pick his pace this year. Do you participate in any forensic leagues?

We have done debate for two years now, but mine is older a senior this fall. We've debated with NCFCA.
    Pat
    Charles H. Spurgeon

What region are you in? Were in region 8 but competed in Region 4 for 2 yrs before we moved to GA. How fun to meet others out there.

I PMed you on debate!
    Pat
    Charles H. Spurgeon