Thread: Which Y2 books are an absolute MUST? Which can I omit?

Which Y2 books are an absolute MUST? Which can I omit?

Hello,

We'll be starting Y2 late August (DV). My son is transitioning from dialectic to rhetoric, so I want to use mostly rhetoric level books, but maybe a I'd get a dialectic book or two, depending (I'm going to preview all the books before I buy, to make sure I have the ones I feel would be best for him).

We can only do the BARE MINIMUM, but still want to do TOG. What history books do I absolutely need? Which books can I skip? I have a c. 2008 print edition and have purchased a few History Core books.

If I just stick more or less to the History Core block in our reading assignments, would that work? I'm planning to learn along with him, that's going to be GREAT! But I know my limits and his, and realistically, we really can't do a lot, so I need to be a minimalist here.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Diane
    Last edited by Diane in MA; 06-08-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo

Hi Diane,

Here are a couple of suggestions. (I'm certain some experienced moms out there have some great suggestions, too.)

* Because the rhetoric books for Y2 are somewhat dense, perhaps you could transition to rhetoric books when you get to Unit 3.

* In regard to which books you absolutely need, lean toward the ones that are used for more than one week.

* Be sure to make use of our helpful supporting links during the weeks you omit any particular book.

* You can also contact Bookshelf Central for suggestions. On their website, there is a "Contact Us" page with email addresses and phone numbers.

I hope this helps!

Karen Quinn
    Product Support Representative
    Lampstand Press, Ltd.
    Last edited by DanaCinTN; 06-09-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Hi Karen, thanks so much for responding

Where would I find those "supporting links?"

Thanks for the suggestion about gradually transitioning to rhetoric level books.

I have examined some of the dialectic and rhetoric History Core books in Unit 1. For example in Weeks 1 and 2 we have H.E. Marshall's The Story of Europe on the D level and The Middle Ages: An Illustrated History on the R level. Out of these two, in this instance, I chose to assign reading from the latter, because I think he would be more interested in that particular book.

So, here's my question: if he reads the assigned pages in The Middle Ages: An Illustrated History for Week 2, is there a reason I should also assign the History In-Depth reading, which would be either The Byzantine Empire, the dialectic In-Depth selection, or Faith in the Byzantine World, the rhetoric level In-Depth selection? (I haven't examined those titles yet, so I'm not sure which level I would choose yet.)

Can we do justice to Year 2 if all we read for history is the History Core section? What are we missing if we skip a lot of the History In-Depth selections? Is skipping the In-Depth selection a bad idea? Or might it be redundant to do both History Core and History In-Depth? That's what I don't get.

I really need to be as bare bones as possible, we have SO much else going on this coming year for subjects and SO much "life" going on at the same time. I don't want to get in over my head and then drown.

Thanks very much,
    Diane
    Last edited by Diane in MA; 06-10-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Diane,

Those links can be found in a couple of places. If you have DE, they can be found on the main page of the interface in the gray slate (box) on the right. If you do not have DE, you can go to our website and click on Year 2 under the “Curriculum” drop-down menu. You will find the Supporting Links section is in the gray slate on the right.

The main concern when determining which books to omit would be that the discussion questions come from both the history core and history in-depth readings. You can remedy this by going sifting through the questions and determining which ones you want him to answer, or you can have him write a brief (or not-so-brief) summary of the book which you’ve chosen for him to read; then you can determine which questions to ask.

While you *could* choose to do core or in-depth only, the student would be missing the bigger picture since they build on each other. I highly encourage you to read the Unit Introductions so that you, as the teacher, will have a sense of focus for each unit, particularly since you will transition into rhetoric studies.

I hope this helps!

Karen

Ah, that's the answer, the discussion questions come from both history core and history in-depth. Thank you! That little bit of info is very helpful.

And thanks for the directions to the helpful links; I have the print edition, so I'll go to the website and find them there.

Very good! I think I'm good to go (for a while).
    Thank you!

Blessings,
    Diane