Thread: Portfolios

Portfolios

My state does not require portfolios or any evaluation for that matter. But I would like to keep my children's material together and organized. I do not want to drown in paperwork though. So I am looking for suggestions of what you keep from your TOG curriculum weekly and yearly. I have DE and print one family set of plans. I also print the SAP for each child. I can keep a list of the books read in my gradebook, but other than that, what do some of you keep.

Thanks.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Jill,
    My state doesn't require portfolios or evaluations either, but I wanted to keep "proof" just in case the laws changed NOT in our favor in that regard. They didn't change though, and my boys all graduated just fine!

At the end of each semester (starting with K!), I gathered paper assignments (and took pictures of some, but not all, projects) and put them in an accordion file that I purchased at an office supply store. I typically kept about three-four good representative examples from their math, spelling, map work, writing, literature worksheets, notebooking, Thinking and Accountability Questions (at the D and R stages), etc. I also kept a book list of what they read...this information could be gleaned from Bookshelf Central's website with the extras added in.

Then, when each student graduated from high school, I used this material to create a scrapbook for him. Each double-page spread was one school year and I added in snapshots. I did end up throwing away the book lists, but kept the extra examples of their work because I'd like to add those to my own personal scrapbooks in my spare time. (What's that?...one day!)

I hope this helps!
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Might I suggest an alternative? Instead of keeping papers, go with digital records. I use http://evernote.com/. The free account has plenty of room if you consistently upload scanned work. Then you can throw out papers but still have a well organized system. I'd tag everything with the child's name, the year or grade, and the tapestry year.

However, my oldest is 17 so I began with paper. I think a smart easy plan is to save some work at even intervals during the year. So samples from the first week, then maybe quarterly and the last week of school.

For high school, you'll want to consider grading schemes etc. so that at the end of four years you have a transcript for college admissions and some description of how you arrived at grades that will make sense to colleges or employers.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm