Thread: Billy Sunday D level biography question

I have a D level student who has read the Billy Sunday book and had some questions about him and the book.

First, he was bothered by the book because he felt it did not give an unbiased view of Mr. Sunday.He felt they were overly accepting of points that might have been better to question. He felt the previously read Benge books on other folks had done a better job of that.

Then he was bothered by some of Mr. Sunday's stances (the one on women should only marry soldiers for instance).

I feel like I've handled those bumps okay, but I did notice that the R level students also read about Mr. Sunday in their book on revivalism and I'm curious if any of you who've used that book can tell me how it handled Mr. Sunday.

Further can those of you who did Year 4 last year and used the other missionary bios at the D level for this yearplan tell me are they similar to the Sunday bio or do they more resemble the Benge books and admit to flaws in their subject? (I'm trying to figure out if I need to read them myself. AND I admit that since I'm reading some of the R lit, I'd rather not, but if I should then I will. )
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Dear Pat,

I think the notes before the Week 3 Church History discussion outline on p. 65 address your questions about Billy Sunday.

I looked back through all the D bios, and the Billy Sunday one is the only one my dds really disliked, for the same reasons as your son. My dds love the Benge books, but enjoyed the Trailblazers series books, too.

HTH!
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2

Thanks for the input Susan! That's helpful.