Thread: Supplemental Picture book suggestions

Supplemental Picture book suggestions

If anyone is interested, I found a several picture books that go with the ancient world theme (for younger siblings, or just to add a bit of fun). Most of the books relate in some way to the week's history or literature (but not every week!)

Wk 1: How the Sphinx Got to the Museum by Jessie Hartland (This book isn't really set in the ancient world, but this is where I put it in my schedule)
    Wk 2: Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile by Tomie dePaola
    Wk 3: The Littlest Frog by Sylvia Rouss
    Wk 3 (again): The Jewel Fish of Karnak by Graeme Base (I love his illustrations. But the puzzle is probably far to hard for young kids)
    Wk 4: Boy, Were We Wrong About Dinosaurs by Kudlinski, Kathleen (It is not intended to support a young-earth perspective, but unintentionally does so if a parent points this out - and thus can be used with any creation view).
    Wk 5: The Magic Pomegranate by Peninnah Schram (a Jewish folktale)
    Wk 6: It Could Always Be Worse: A Yiddish Folk Tale by Margot Zemach (another Jewish folktale)
    Wk 7: My Little Book About God by Jane Werner Watson
    Wk 8: Talia and the Rude Vegetables by Linda Elovitz Marshall
    Wk 9: The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt (This has nothing to do with the week's history, but the moral of this creepy picture books is an important lesson, in my opinion, so... -- not for sensitive kids!)
    Wk 10: The Drum: A Folktale from India by Rob Cleveland (folktale from India which does NOT focus on the deities of Hinduism)
    Wk 11: Lon Po Po by Ed Young (Red Ridding Hood type of story from China)
    Wk 11 (again): The Lost Horse: A Chinese Folktale by Ed Young
    Wk 12: Coyote: A Trickster Tale from the American Southwest by Gerald McDermott (There are multiple trickster tales - 'Jabutí the Tortoise' is one from the Amazon region)
    Wk 12 (again): Biblioburro: A true story from Colombia (this isn't in the correct time frame, but is a true story from S. America).
    Wk 13: Run with me, Nike by Cassandra Case (no magic involved)
    Wk 14: Max and Ruby's Pandora's Box by Rosemary Wells (not exactly the traditional myth, but perhaps provides a more relatable message?)
    Wk 14 (again): Atalanta's Race: A Greek Myth by Shirley Climo (A Greek myth that isn't well known)
    Wk 15: 1001 Things to Spot long ago by Gillian Doherty
    Wk 16: This is not my hat by Jon Klassen (another book that has nothing to do with the history, but teaches an excellent lesson -- not for sensitive kids!)
    Wk 17: The Selfish Giant by Dan Goeller (Classic Oscar Wilde story about Christ)
    Wk 18: Solomon's Temple Model by Tim Dowley (The book comes with a cardboard model to assemble, if bought new)
    Weeks 19 - 22, No picture books found relating to history (other than Bible stories), so the following are just what I'd picked out for fun.
    Wk 19: The Priest with the Dirty Clothes
    Wk 20: How full is your bucket for kids by Tom Rath
    Wk 21: The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds
    Wk 22: The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul Galdone
    Wk 23: The Better-Than-Best Purim by Naomi Howland (with a cookie recipie included)
    Wk 24: The Stone: A Persian Legend of the Magi by Dianne Hofmeyr
    Wk 25: Joseph had a little Overcoat by Simms Taback (a modern fable)
    Wk 26: The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney (wordless book in line with fables for the week)
    Wk 27: Maccabee!: The Story of Hanukkah by Tilda Balsley
    Wk 28: Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki
    Wk 28 (again): Room for a Little One by Martin Waddell
    Wk 29: The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski (not quite the right historical era...)
    Wk 30: Medusa Tells All by Rebecca Davis (I haven't read this one yet...and technically the myth is Greek, not Roman, but whatever...it looks fun)
    Wk 30 (again): The Lord's Prayer by Rick Warren
    Wk 31: You wouldn't want to be Cleopatra by Jim Pipe
    Wk 31 (again): The Donkey who carried a king by Sproul
    Wk 32: This is Rome by Miroslav Sasek
    Wk 32 (again): God Gave us Easter by Lisa Bergren
    Wk 33: Come Worship With Me: A Journey Through the Church Year by Ruth Boling
    Wk 34: It Will be Okay: Trusting God Through Fear and Change by Lysa TerKeurst
    Wk 35: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
    Wk 36: Diary of a worm by Doreen Cronin (just something silly to end the year)

Beware! Some books may, for one reason or another, not fit your family. Please preview any book you select to read to your child!
    If this type of list isn't objectionable to TOG, I may do another for the next years as well later.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi there,
    No problem as far as I know! I will say that quite a few of these are already on our Alternates list (p. 5 of each week-plan), so be sure to check there too for fun books to add each week.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4