Thread: Hard time finding maps for Unit One Week One

First, I'm a total newbie. I have the digital edition map aids and am having a hard time with the labeling system. How do I know when there is a map that corresponds with the unit? Is there a map in the map aids that corresponds with Unit 1 week 1? Having a hard time figuring out map aids and how to locate the maps.

(There. I think I posted the same question 5 times in this post)

Are you asking how to know which maps go with what weeks? If so, at the bottom of the map it should tell you which level and which week. Hope this helps.

That would work if I had the hard copy of the maps. But I have the digital version. Year 4 Week One- is there a map? How do I find the file?

Hi,

I think you may be confused about the maps because the first week of every year plan is a huge geography review week. Most likely, you will pick and choose what you want to do with your students, based on what they have learned in the past and their level. After several years of TOG, you'll be amazed at how much your children remember about geography!

If you "ignore" week 1 for now and focus on the other weeks, it will make a bit more sense to you. The Map Aids will list the week number in the first column of the chart and the levels go across the top. It should be very clear which map you need to print for each week, if you're doing paper maps. The Answer Key or Teacher map is in the last column of the chart. In addition, you will find details about how to label each map in the Blue Student Activity Pages in each week of the TOG plan. If you print out the Student Pages for your child, they will use this student activity page to complete their mapwork that week.

If you are doing the transparency maps, instead of paper maps, you will need to wing it a bit You can either use the Base Maps provided by TOG and label as many places as you can from the Student Activity Page's geography list or you can use any map as a "base map" and just have fun with sharpies and transparencies to show change over time. Sometimes the instructions on the student activity pages won't work exactly as written on the transparency map, because the size of the map may limit how much detail you can provide. Think of these maps as a bit less structured and more creative. They should still be accurate, but there's a lot more variation in how they look and you'll just have to come up with your own system for how to use color and symbols to indicate bodies of water, cities, regions, mountains or whatever. They're a lot of fun!

My suggestion is to print a couple of maps from weeks 2-9 and the corresponding student pages from the weekly plan. If you sit with them side by side, it will be much easier to comprehend how they fit together and what you need to get started.

Blessings,
    Eia