Thread: Saxon/DIVE/Saxon Teacher Question

Hi,

We're considering Saxon for one of our children that really excels in math.

I really prefer the hardcover texts versus the new, softcover books...and I'm thinking that I'd like to have some "help" with teaching, especially the upper levels.

Is there a huge difference between DIVE and Saxon Teacher? What ARE the differences between the two?

Thank you in advance...
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16

Anyone use Saxon??
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16

Amy,

I have a friend who uses both DIVE and Saxon Teacher. I emailed her your questions. Here is her reply:

"DIVE and Saxon Teacher are alike in that they both use a type of blackboard screen so that you see what you hear the teacher teaching. DIVE's is a blue screen; Saxon is gray. Both have "slider bars" so you can maneuver back and forth within a lesson.

How they differ: DIVE teaches each daily lesson (very well!), but doesn't show the solutions to the daily problems or tests. Dr. Shormann's rationale is found here: Dr. Shormann's rationale He teaches all the student needs to know for each lesson completely on the screen, seldom referencing the textbook's lesson instructions.

Saxon Teacher teaches each daily lesson following the layout in the textbook: topic presentation, examples, practices, etc. SaxonTeacher also shows step-by-step solutions to ALL the problems from the daily lessons and tests.

My 15 year-old daughter loves DIVE. She likes that the lessons are fairly short (5-20 minutes), yet give her all the information she needs to understand the concepts and work the problems. Dr. Shormann sometimes works problems differently from the way the Saxon text teaches; usually he'll say his method is easier to understand or implement than Saxon's. Dd agrees!

For Algebra I, DIVE is fully sufficient if you've bought the Saxon Homeschool Kit that includes the (full) Solutions Manual. The Solutions Manual gives step-by-step solutions to all the textbook practices and problem sets.

For Algebra II, DIVE may still be all you need.

However, I have to confess: We have both DIVE and Saxon Teacher---the Saxon Teacher is for me! Since Algebra I, I've also done the daily lessons and tests, so that I'm able to help (ha!) when dd encounters difficulties. We do math at the same time, but separately. Dd learns the lesson from her DIVE video, and I usually learn straight from the book.

We're up to lesson 70 and have watched a Saxon Teacher problem solution video less than 10 times--but without the video we would've been stumped. As far as the actual lesson videos go, so far we've only watched 1 complete instruction together (lesson 59 on experimental data graphs). However, I myself have watched several lessons, when I just wasn't getting the textbook's presentation. Other times, I've had dd tell me how Dr. Shormann taught something. My understanding is that you can email Dr. Shormann about a problem, but we sure like the immediate help that Saxon Teacher provides.

Next year we're in Advanced Math. If we have to choose one or the other, dd says "DIVE" and I lean toward Saxon Teacher. We hope we don't have to choose!"

HTH!
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2