Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spelling

Has anyone ever used the Phonetic Zoo? My son will be in 6th next year, and nothing we have used is working. I'm also thinking about Spelling Power, which I know people love. I am intrigued by the CD aspect of Phonetic Zoo, and the fact he could do on his own.

Anyone have experience with Phonetic Zoo?

Thanks,
    AnnM in Texas

President, Lampstand Press
    Ann,

Nothing that you have used for...? Reading? Spelling? What's your goal exactly?
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

AnnM,

My children have tried both Spelling Power and Phonetic Zoo without success. Neither one of these programs led to better spelling in my childrens other assignments. Like you I was drawn to the CD aspect of Phonetic Zoo, but I found that the arrangement of the words by spelling rules just didn't make them stick. Similarly, Spelling Power is arranged in word lists by rules. When I thought more about how good spellers spell it is rarely with rules and much more about what "looks right." We have been using Sequential Spelling by AVKO for just over a year now, and I have seen significant improvements in my children's spelling. It is word lists with daily tests like Phonetic Zoo and Spelling Power, but the arrangement of the words by word families makes the spelling stick. You might want to consider it as another option.

I hope you find what works for your family.
    Blessings,
    jfurlough

The goal is just for spelling. I will look into Sequential Spelling as well. Thanks so much the input.

AnnM in Texas

Marcia,

Our issue has been that words learned on a test do not translate into writing at all. My ds is an excellent and voracious reader, so its a bit perplexing to me. I'm a natural speller. We've used a workbook approach with word lists based on a rule, with lots of practice. He's basically not remembering the words past the test. We use WA for writing, but I think his frustration with spelling is holding up his writing, even though for rough drafts I just let him write, to be edited later.

Ann

Originally posted by AnnM:
    Marcia,

Our issue has been that words learned on a test do not translate into writing at all. My ds is an excellent and voracious reader, so its a bit perplexing to me. I'm a natural speller. We've used a workbook approach with word lists based on a rule, with lots of practice. He's basically not remembering the words past the test. We use WA for writing, but I think his frustration with spelling is holding up his writing, even though for rough drafts I just let him write, to be edited later.

Ann
    We use Spelling Power and with my oldest (12) I see results. My youngest I can't tell yet.

But I was a voracious reader with a large vocabulary and I still consider myself a rather ghastly speller (although I think I've gotten better).

Something that helped me a lot was computerized spell check. Not that if fixed things but that over time because only the words I spell wrong came up over and over I finally learned them. I can remember when I used to type "decision" the only choice the spell check would offer was "doeskin" (like that's a commonly used word ), but now I can spell decision without spell check. I suppose it's like have your own personal nagging mom.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Has anyone used ALL ABOUT SPELLING?

Hi Ann,

I haven't used it *YET* -- I'm in the process of buying it for my youngest son...he's 10 and has always struggled with spelling.

A friend of mine has used it with great success...

Happy Homeschooling!!
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16

I used Phonetic Zoo this year for the first time with my 4th grade dd. I've noticed a distinct improvement this year in her overall spelling, but sometimes it's hard to be objective when you're Mom and Teacher. Today, we received her Iowa test scores, and her spelling score improved by almost 30 percentage points!! I was thrilled! Addressing a statement made earlier in this conversation, that most people spell by what "looks right," that works great for people like me--visual learners. When your 9 yo is spelling "girl" as "gril" you have to know she's not a visual learner because that doesn't look right to anyone!! IEW does have a money-back guarantee, so if you try it and don't like it, you can return it.
    HTH,
    Robin

Ann, There's some info on All About Spelling if you go down a few threads (All About Spelling is in the title of the thread) but here's a portion of what I wrote about it there. . .

We started All About Spelling a little over a year ago, and it has made a world of difference with him (my 10yo son). He can actually write a paragraph now that is not riddled with spelling errors. We are both so pleased!! AAS teaches phonics rules and uses movable tiles. When it comes time to write the spelling words for the unit, I have him do it on the dry erase board with a colored marker. That also seems to help. You will probably have to start with Level 1, not because the words are difficult, but because the rules taught all build on each other. My son zipped through Level 1, but it was definitely needed. He is now on Level 4. The author is very helpful and good at answering email questions.

Michelle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast