Thread: Important US history

Is there a list somewhere of what US history in TOG should be covered as part of world history for people in other countries and what US history is "our country" information that would be replaced with the users country of origin?

Thanks
    Kylie (Homeschooling in Melbourne, Australia)
    TOG Year 3
    C (12, D)
    D (10, UG)
    J (4)
    K (2)

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Kylie,
    No, there isn't a list. TOG does follow the US progression of presidents though, if that helps any....and their interactions in the world. Rhetoric level follows the detail more closely.

I know that isn't a big help to you...sorry!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Thanks Dana. I'm doing year 1 so it's not important this year but I'm trying to get my head around things because I know making changes to TOG will take time and energy.

My history education consisted of Capitan Cook discovering Australia, the first fleet and a bit of early Australian explorers. So it only covers one country and a couple of hundred years.

So you can see why I'd like a little guidance. TOG is a great curriculum and I hope in future there will be more non-US users who can help each other with issues like this.
    TOG Year 3
    C (12, D)
    D (10, UG)
    J (4)
    K (2)

Kylie,

Are you a US ex pat or a native of Australia?

I love TOG and how they balance US and world history, BUT if I was a native of another country, especially one not even on the same continent or same hemisphere, I think I might stop TOG at Y2 U2 and from that point plan to do my own thing.

The pros for TOG is the literature, especially at the R level, which I think is fairly balanced. There is also some world coverage, but the con is you would be paying a lot of money for huge chunks of another country's history.

I'm native Australian, well 6th generation. The trouble is that most of the homeschooling curriculum comes from America. There is nothing even close to TOG produced in Australia.

I know of two 200ish page history books made for Australian homeschoolers but that is all there is for Australian studies. We started as convicts not Christians so we don't have the pride Americans have in our beginings, we didn't fight for independence, we've never had a civil war, we don't learn about our prime ministers.

I think I can add in Australian history and still have plenty of room for US as world history. As far as I know there is no integrated curriculum in Australia and what I loose in the US focus of TOG I more than make up for in the learning levels, socratic discussions, writing assignments, and just having everything at my fingertips so I don't have to spend months searching the internet and library for a weeks worth of work.

Our government systems are certainly very different so I'll have to supplement that. Almost anything I buy will be American and need to be tweaked, homeschooling is not popular enough or old enough in Australia for there to be good Australian curriculum choices.
    TOG Year 3
    C (12, D)
    D (10, UG)
    J (4)
    K (2)

It's possible as you use TOG and go up through the level that you'll begin to get a better grasp of how to pull out US history and plug in bits of your own history and government.

I also think that you may find you wish to expand your own history/government by including the Asian/Oceania experience in some way.

But if your boys are only 4 and 6 years old, then you'll have time for that to register with you and, hopefully, Australian materials will also be developed as they get older. It is amazing in the 10 years I've been homeschooling what has been developed (including Tapestry, which may have existed when I started but wasn't very well know, and hey even the internet has grown amazingly).